Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been PLing with success, DD has been peeing on the potty with 2-3 accidents a day for almost a week now. She is in either undies or cloth trainers. When she has an accident she is changed immediately. Yet she is developing a diaper rash. I am wondering if I am not wiping her correctly? Usually she goes on the potty, she gets a chance to wipe herself, then I take her off the potty, stand her up and reach in between her legs and wipe her with the TP. Prior to the PLing she was wiped with baby wipes. Should I switch back to the baby wipes for a while?<br>
Logistically, how do you wipe your toddler? Step by step directions appreciated!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My daughter is severly allergic to our laundry soap, but only in her panty's. Strange, I know. I would go back to the baby wipes, I wipe them on the potty. I stand in front of them and tell them to bend over, they can hold on to my legs or tummy. I wipe them front to back, just as I do my self. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Toilet paper never worked for us with DD. Maybe it is the kind we use, but it just shreds whenever we use it to wipe her and wasn't very effective in cleaning the area. Instead I bought flushable diaper wipes (in the baby wipe section at our grocery store). That way they are moist, like baby wipes, but I can just flush them down the toilet. Since DD was pooping in the toilet early on, it was really the best option for us.<br><br>
Because the flushable wipes are sturdy and moist they wipe much better than TP, however, if your DC's rash is due to a sensitivity to any soaps or whatever, you may want to watch carefully your use of those. But maybe it is the use of toilet paper that's a factor in her rash? The wipes I'm sure are less enviro-friendly but for now they work for us.<br><br>
When we wipe, we are always sure to wipe front to back as wiping back to front can carry bacteria to sensitive parts. The easiest way, by far, that I've found is to have DD stand on her feet, lean forward and balance head down with her palms on the floor. That way her little bum is pointing up to the ceiling (I'm realizing that in 15 years she'd be so embarassed to know I'm writing this!) Then I just reach in from behind and wipe front to back.<br><br>
HTH!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts