Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some major pain in my left breast and nipple. I am tandem nursing and this is the side that my toddler nurses most of the time. I know that I have more milk on that side when I express. My newborn has had the perfect latch and we have had a great nursing relationship. I have some white colour on the end of my nipple as well as lots of pain. I am just curious if yeast can only strike the one breast and not the other. All the pain started today so it can still transfer to the other breast if it is yeast. I also have a golf size lump on my left breast that aches. I think this is a plugged duct from my huge milk supply from tandem nursing. What can i do to relieve this situation? Is this a plugged duct and threush?

· Registered
53 Posts
If you have any doubts at all that it might be thrush do have a doctor or nurse check it out. Thrush can be extremely painful for the mother and child since it transfers to the baby's mouth (or is it vice versa?) and can cause no end of difficulties with nursing.
As to the blocked duct, massaging it in a warm shower / bath, a hot compress and massage might help. If left blocked for too long this too can cause health issues including infections and very high fevers in the mother. Do give your doctor's office a call. I'm sure they will be most helpful. good luck!

· Registered
2,961 Posts
We had thrush early on and I only had it in one breast. It was in my milk ducts (deep, sharp, shooting, burning, throbbing pains). It was intense. The treatment is intense, but not as intense as the pain! I only include so much information because the yeast almost beat us and I feel that this forum saved our BFeeding relationship with all the advice and experience I received. Hopefully it's not yeast....if it is:

Yeast is stubborn and spreads like crazy...it lives on surfaces for a long time. I was on Diflucan (400mg the first day, 200mg a day for 28 days thereafter OR for 2 weeks beyond your last symptom, whichever is longer). The med is expensive if you don't have ins. Make sure you get this correct dose if you go on it, any less just won't work. I can get you the medical reference if you need it. My doc wouldn't treat me at first. Drs!

Also, I used a vinegar wash (1 part white vinegar to 9 parts water changed dialy) on nipples after each feed. I kept it in a squeeze bottle. Then applied monistat, wipe off any visible cream before nursing. For the babes......ugh......this is where it stinks. DD was on Nystatin for over 4 weeks. You need to apply it carefully: wipe mouth out with wet colth (I used Huggies plain disposable washcloths cut into pieces), dispense med into paper cup, apply with q-tips painting onto all surfaces of mouth and tounge. Never double dip. Never let the dispenser touch baby's mouth or you will contaminate the med.....we did this.....twice. Repeat the whole mess 4 times a day after meals. Also, I wiped out the mouth after a feed just so the yeast wouldn't thrive on the breastmilk. Unless dd was alseep....then I just let it go. Gentian violet is supposed to be great....we were about to try it when we started getting better.

Throw away all soft plastic that goes in baby's mouth...nipple, teether, paci, etc. The yeast thrives here and even boiling won't get rid of it. Clean all hard plastic toys etc. with the vinegar wash daily. Put the vinegar wash into the washing maching with your bras and shirts. Change breast pads all the time....let nipples air dry whenever possible.

The yeast culture has a very high false negative rate....so be aware that even if your test results are fine you may indeed have yeast. My doc wouldn't even use the test, they just treated my symptoms. Everyone has to be treated at the same time or it will just continue.

And....you can definately get over it. Our case was undiagnosed for 4 weeks and my pain was so intense I couldn't care for dd and my mother had to come take care of both of us just so I could keep breastfeeding. Hopefully you can nip this in the bud!

Good luck and please let me know if I can help.....sorry for the long reply!

· Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I applied warm washcloths to my left breast with the plugged duct and massaged the hell out of it. I felt the swollen duct move from the side of the breast to the middle of my breast and then got my toddler lached on real good and told her to nurse to her hearts content. Well I felt the lump get smaller and smaller. Even after she told me she was done I asked her to nurse for a bit longer. Phew, what a relieve to have swelling gone down.

I had thrush/yeast when I had my first dd and we went through h*%! and back. I found that taking 3tbls of coconut oil is a great antifungal that I took during pregnancy and I just thought that I was over that. Well here we go again. I will do the vinigar wash as well as adding garlic to it.

Thanks for the great advice. Those yeasts are so awful to get rid of and keep under control.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.