Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my right breast had a spot on it that became EXTREMELY painful. It's more spread out and not in a concentrated area. I myself could barely touch it, much less have anyone else touch it. Breastfeeding and simply holding my child on that side almost brought me to tears.

Today it is still quite tender, but not as much as yesterday. It has now developed a large red spot over the area that is painful.

I've been taking ibuprofen for the pain and have just recently started going braless in case that helps.

Anyone know what this is? What do I need to do? I never had any issues bfing my 1st child so this is new to me. I have an appt with my ob/gyn tomorrow... Could he possibly give me antibiotics if needed?

Thank you for any help/advice you can give!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
sounds like what I had.
Mine was a plugged duct that became mastitis.
I then had to deal with an abscess. Had a round of antibiotics.

While waiting for an appt with a breast sergen to have it drained, I found a homeopathic remedy for breast issues - phytolacca decandra. (I think i am spelling it right). It comes in a little blue vial with tiny pellets(biorn is the brand maybe?). I overloaded my self on them and in 1.5 days the abscess started shrinking. the sergen of course said it must be the antibiotics not the hpathic remedy - eventhough I was on the abiotic for 8dys already & it was still getting worse until I started taking it

IMO get to the store & start on it right away. I found it at vitamin shoppe & wegmans. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
This is the standard protocol for any sudden breast tenderness, with or without flu-like symptoms, since it could be a plugged duct which can lead to mastitis:

Keep it empty. Nurse on it as much as you can, pump if you can't. Heat (hot rice sock, hot shower) can help. You might find it more comfortable to hand-express in a super hot shower.

REST. If you can, take the baby to bed and don't do anything but nurse and rest, and drink plenty of fluids.

Don't wear a bra or sling that puts pressure on the breast as that can lead to plugged ducts. Overdoing it can as well (especially if you're doing more b/c the baby is sleeping a longer stretch and not nursing).

Every time I've gotten a plugged duct, I've been able to ward off mastitis by doing this. If it gets to the point of mastitis, you can get abx, but I would suggest you take major precautions against thrush then.

I hope you feel better quickly! I know how painful it is, ugh.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
I had a plugged duct while still pregnant with my first, that wasn't fun. I called my sister and here is what she told me

Get into the shower with dh, have him massage the hard spot VERY HARD while I tried to express a bit.

It hurt like the fire of a thousand burning suns! I cried a bit.

But it worked just fine.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ladies... I'm so scared of getting mastitis so I'm glad it doesn't sound like that... yet. I'll be sure to do the things ya'll mentioned and hopefully it goes away soon. I guess my mommy instincts kicked in bc as soon as I noticed the pain I started nursing on that breast as much as possible without neglecting my other one. So yay, lol.

Thanks again!!!! *cross your fingers for me*

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
also when you are nursing, try to massage that plugged duct out. It works best for me to do it while I am nursing. HTH!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am experiencing this exact situation! It started last night for me.
Any updates? How are you feeling, and what have you tried? Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDFanatik View Post
Yesterday my right breast had a spot on it that became EXTREMELY painful. It's more spread out and not in a concentrated area. I myself could barely touch it, much less have anyone else touch it. Breastfeeding and simply holding my child on that side almost brought me to tears.

Today it is still quite tender, but not as much as yesterday. It has now developed a large red spot over the area that is painful.

I've been taking ibuprofen for the pain and have just recently started going braless in case that helps.

Anyone know what this is? What do I need to do? I never had any issues bfing my 1st child so this is new to me. I have an appt with my ob/gyn tomorrow... Could he possibly give me antibiotics if needed?

Thank you for any help/advice you can give!!

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Yes, sounds like a plugged duct. I've had these a bit (which may make my advice suspect!
) but here's what I've done:
*try never to wear anything that binds the ladies while you nurse especially
*go braless until the duct unplugs
*put warmth on it (I've found coffee mugs held to the breast with clothing between is ideal) or a hot shower as pp have suggested, then have the baby nurse asap
*massage gently but firmly in the direction of milk flow regularly, esp during/after application of warmth and during nursing
*have the baby nurse with chin aligned where the duct seems to be blocked (apparently the strongest action is at the chin which may help loosen things up, but the opening of the duct may not be directly in line with the hot swollen area)
*lay in bed if possible and have the baby nurse on the affected side A LOT
*Drink LOTS of water!!
*check kellymom
hth

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
Can't really add any more advice, but I have SO been there! Several times, in fact, since my youngest was born. Most recently, I actually had green-tinted breast milk coming from one hole. Incidentally, I was once pierced (never really felt they were me so I took them out) and that is the side that gets hot and irritated. Also, that's the hole that had greenish milk.

Super gross!

I went to bed and did nothing but hang w/ the baby and was fine.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacksMommy07 View Post
I am experiencing this exact situation! It started last night for me.
Any updates? How are you feeling, and what have you tried? Thank you!
Things are 100% cleared up.
:

I stopped wearing a bra period, nursed on the "bad" breast as much as possible, took a hot shower, and massaged it a lot both while bfing and not. About 2 days after I originally made this post the pain was finally gone but I went ahead and continued doing everything for another 24 hours just in case

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.