Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey mamas, I am having my very first breastfeeding problem. I think I may have a plugged duct. My breast burns, there are red streaks right over the painful area and my nipple is achy/burny....this sucks! Tylenol doesn't seem to do much. Is it safe to take ibuprofen while nursing? I know it was off-limits when I was pregnant. I'm trying to keep nursing on that side, and I'm massaging the area but it is really painful! Do any of you smart mamas have any suggestions to help ease my pain? This just really popped up last night and I really don't know what to do

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I believe ibuprofen is also off-limits during breastfeeding, not sure...I never take the stuff. It sounds like it could be a plugged duct. I got these a lot, in fact I'm so prone to them that I got one during this pregnancy and I'm not even nursing!! Massage the area constantly, especially when you take a shower. Putting hot compresses on it also helped me. Another thing you'll want to do is not only nurse frequently on the affected side, but change baby's nursing positions. One feeding do the cradle hold, the next do the football hold, etc.. And keep rotating this for a while. This will ensure that ALL of the milk ducts are being efficiently drained. I do not recommend attempting to pump the clog out. I tried this once and ended up making the situation worse

Keep an eye on your temperature, and if you start feeling icky like you're coming down with the flu, you could have mastitis. So take care of yourself!!! htH!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
uh, if you have streaks, you're working on mastitis for sure!

Ibuprofen is ok when you're nursing afaik. Definitely rest, nurse baby in different positions - best if her/his chin is pointing toward the most tender spot on your breast.

Personally, I'd have antibiotics ready just in case because mastitis can get bad suddenly and feel dreadful.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Oh dear, you don't have a plugged duct, you have mastitis. Get thee first to your baby, and get him/her to nurse as much as possible on that side, then into a hot hot bath, using breast compression on the affected area, then keep a heating pad on it the rest of the time, and head to a doctor. Ibuprofen and tylenol are both fine while nursing in small doses but I'm afraid if it's reached the streaky red stage you will probably need antibiotics - and there are plenty of those that are safe while you're nursing, don't worry. What's important is that you deal with it before you start running a fever, because that can really affect your milk supply.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hi Mama,
That does sound like a plugged duct...or maybe the start of mastitis.
Okay, here are some suggestions about what to do (recommendation by LLL):

First of all, get yourself and your baby to bed, it is ideal to just have a "nurse-in" day. A plugged duct can lead to mastitis very fast.

Warm compresses to the area....massage to the area.

Nurse, nurse, nurse.

Plenty of fluids....soups, beverages, water, herbal teas etc.

Take care of yourself...

Oh! Tylenol for pain if you start running fever or have pain....to a health care provider if necessary.
Mel.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
What everyone else said
Though I didn't take anything to reduce my fever, I let my body use my fever to fight off the infection.

Another trick I used (I've had mastitis twice & not needed antibiotics) is to nurse over my daughter, breasts hanging down. It's awkward, but it worked for me!

If you don't feel better after a day of REST and nursing (or start to feel any worse at any time) go to the doc! You might even be able to call in & talk to a nurse who could call in a px of antibiotics for you.

FEEL BETTER SOON!!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Carley said:
What everyone else said
Though I didn't take anything to reduce my fever, I let my body use my fever to fight off the infection.

Another trick I used (I've had mastitis twice & not needed antibiotics) is to nurse over my daughter, breasts hanging down. It's awkward, but it worked for me!
QUOTE]
You know, Carley...both of these are GREAT points! I normally let a fever run a bit too...let my body fight the infection. I only take something for pain or if the fever goes very high/lasts a long time.

And amazing suggestion to nurse hanging down...let Gravity help move that milk along!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't take anything for the fever, but if you need something for the PAIN, then I'd be okay with ibuprofen.

-Angela

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice mamas. I've been nursing DD on the bad side all morning (I've been emptying the other side when necessary), and pulled her into bed with me last night so she could nurse some more. I'll probably do the same tonight. I took some more Tylenol for the pain, hoping that will help. The breast isn't streaky anymore, but it is red directly over where the pain is worst. I think I'll try the dangle manuver next, see if I can't get gravity to do something good for my boobs! I'm also gonna take my temp in a minute because I'm feeling progressively yuckier
: ......thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Massaging worked for me. Along with tylenol, feedings on that side, and a bit of dangling. A plugged duct can happen anytime during the phase of breastfeeding. I got them more in the beginning but when my LO started sleeping longer it brought on one or two more. I found using soap in the shower created lubication needed to massage without tearing my skin off. It is really painful but should clear up within 24 - 48 hours.

Keep massaging outside the breast toward the nipple in the shower. I used my thumb as it was strongest. Also rolling knuckes along the area (very painful) but it will help.

A.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I get recurring plugged ducts
and do the following,

drink water, water and more water!
take vit c (like 1000 - 2000 mg)
take echinacea

until it clears up

take your bra off (if youa re wearing one)

rest as much as possible

nurse as much as possible on that breast

if you do this you can ward off full blown mastitis

hth, good luck and take care of you, mama!

(p.s. this info i got from Aviva Romm and the Nursing Mothers Companion)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
anyone evr tried nursing "upside down" I think this may be my problem also, I'm sore and lumpy on the top left left side. The only way I can think to get DS chin up there would be to lay down with his head pointing down and my head by his feet (hope he's not in a kicking mood) I've seen older children do this, but DS is only 11 weeks old...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts