Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good fit, bad message: Teen plus sizes boost morale, but do they encourage obesity?

Quote:
While kids are happy with more fashionable options, some doctors and parents worry that while the plus-size clothes help self-esteem, they also could signal an acceptance of childhood obesity.

It used to be almost impossible to find plus-size clothes for kids. Sears and J.C. Penney Co. used to call them ''husky,'' offering basics such as jeans and plaid shirts.
OK, I wasn't sure of the proper forum for this, Activism? TAO? Health? Teens? The mods can move it if this isn't a good place for it.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pretty plus--never heard that one. :LOL My mom called them "half sizes" Oh, and I remember when I wore a 6X, which signalled the beginning of my fattitudity. I was part of the 7% listed in that article. Now all kids want to be fat, dammit! I guess it is for the cool clothes!

Seriously, though, I have a friend who only lost weight after he was able to buy nice clothes. He said that before he always thought he should lose weight first. The shame of not having anything to wear doesn't help you lose weight. From about 1976 to 1980, the timeframe listed in the article, I was wearing polyester pants that my parents made for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.