Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I was humilliated when I was shopping with my grandma when I was a young teen. I was asked what size I was and I said "16" and the woman with me looked at me and brought me a size 10 saying it would fit me. She thought the 16 was kid's sizes since I was shopping in the adult women's section. Then she brought me a 12, then a 14 and finally a 16. AUGH. What was so difficult to understand that I was a size 16? I had to try them all on in order to prove to her that I was a 16 and not a 10 like she thought I was.

This was almost twenty years ago. I wasn't obese. I was 150lbs and 5'4" just a little "heavy" but not fat. I still had all my baby fat and it was doing the transition to women fat so I still didn't quite have my hips, but I definitely had my breasts.

All I can say is that its gotten worse over the years. My waist/hips are a size 18/20 and my chest is a 22. I walk out of size 22 pants even as pregnant as I am right now because they are too loose. It has gotten worse trying to find clothes. I won't even go into the war of the bra sizes I had the last time I went looking.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Today's standards?
20 years ago, anything over a 10 was still +size. Although you could find tons of size 16 stuff.

Me? I haven't been able to find anything that fits me while pregnant. so I break out my sewing machine and fix things over and over again until they are threadbare. If I wanted to, I could make all my own clothing too.

But of course, its cheaper to buy prefab crap.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Definately older too.

I saw some really nice clothes at Walmart (yeah I know) yesterday that I would have bought if their +size department had the same...

They didn't. They had frumpy things. Frumpier than even the maternity, but at least with maternity, they are trying to have stuff that looks "nice" for women.

Gez. I don't want to look like I'm 50. I want to wear styles that 20-30somethings are wearing. Not tents.

I got into an argument at a "career college" years ago. The "dean" said what I was wearing wasn't appropriate for work. T-shirts and black pants. Scuse me for being low income and not being able to afford much. So I went and spent money on clothing I didn't really think was appropriate for me, but was told by the store owner at the + size store that it was all fine. Uh. Yeah. Sure. The Dean the next day hauled me into his office and gave me hell for wearing shirts again that didn't "cover my crotch" or that weren't tucked in. I swear the man had it in for me because I was the only goddess sized person in the entire school. I went without decent food for a week to buy this shit and it wasn't good enough?

FYI: I finally found shirts that were "long enough" to his standards in Seattle for 100$cdn per during a visit a couple of years later. But, if I know him, he would have fussed up about the design on the shirt.

And no, I hate wearing dresses. I end up chaffing.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I remember pe every day in the 70's...

Then we moved to BC... we were lucky if we got it every other day. And it was never... as good as it was in Ontario.

And one teacher had a love for soccer. That's all we ever really did. I hated it, but became real good in goal. Even with my glasses for a target.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I'm 29 weeks preggo. Unless I'm willing to fork out $$$$ for clothes, there is nothing for me that either looks good, is comfortable to wear or even fits semi okay.

So I'm still doing the fix and repair and use until they fall off me clothing. If I didn't have my own sewing machine, I'd be sunk.

I sorta found a bra for me yesterday that was "cheap." A 42D. It "fits" and it will do for the rest of the summer, but it doesn't fit well. I end up with 4 breasts if I'm not carefull. But its a hell of a lot better than my mangey about to fall apart nursing bras!

See.. I'm a 38J. I'm serious. Does anyone make that size? Nope. So I have to improvise and suffer.

And I won't even go into nursing bra hell either... This one I got is a soft cup and I'll be able to nurse with it so I'm thinking about getting more. For 20$, I'll make a lot of compromises. For 100$, if it doesn't fit me like a glove, forget it.

And the miracle about it? I found it at Zellers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.