Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
T

Quote:
of course in today's standards anyone over a size ten is considered a plus size... sheesh.. i jus dont get how dumb one has to be to come out with this idea...
I was just discussing this at book club the other day. The average plus sized model is a size 12! The average american woman is a 12/14. Pitiful when you have to be thinner than average to be a plus-sized model. What is the message being sent? (rhetorical, lol)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Oh, for a world in which EVERYONE gets to wear clothes that fit.

Clothing sizing has changed since I started buying adult clothes. Including shoes. Once upon a time, you could fairly easily get shoes in different widths. Same design, different widths. You know, if your feet were a different width than the next person.

Then, I noticed lots of people apparently wearing the wrong width.

Aside from the obvious PAIN that that person is going to have, shoes look terrible when you're bulging out of them, or the sole isn't wide enough for the foot that is in the shoe.

And, the more expensive the shoes (Christian Louboutin, Jimmy Choo, Manolo Blahnik, etc.), the less likelihood that you're going to have any choice in the width.

In the "old" days, it was the other way around. My mother nearly exclusively bought one particular brand of (expensive) shoe because it's last fit her and it came in different widths!

You know, it is cheaper for manufacturers to reduce the number of sizes available. And make shoe soles narrower. Materials cost money. True for clothes of any kind.

So, they design something that needs the bare minimum of fabric, then market the heck out of it and guilt trip people into fitting into it.

Anyhow, this is off topic.

Yeah, stupid article. I HATE the idea of shame!

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
Shoes, that's another peeve.

I usually limit myself to birkenstocks and birkie clogs.

I hate women's shoes, too narrow. I wear mens' sneakers because, for some odd reason, mens' shoes are shaped like someone's foot (amazing!!)

db

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Today's standards?
20 years ago, anything over a 10 was still +size. Although you could find tons of size 16 stuff.

Me? I haven't been able to find anything that fits me while pregnant. so I break out my sewing machine and fix things over and over again until they are threadbare. If I wanted to, I could make all my own clothing too.

But of course, its cheaper to buy prefab crap.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DebraBaker
My DD (14) has a friend who is big. Always has been big (known one another since early elementary school.) This girl is extremely active, very into her sports. She's nice, intelligent, active but big.

She should feel pretty in her clothes as much as my size 2 (5'9") daughter for goodness' sake
Yes, she should.

Then ther is the OTHER extreme. My best friend thru elementary and junior high school was BIG. In a family of thin to average sized people. she went to the OTHER extreme. betwwen grade 8 & 9 she went from weighing a good 160 @ 5'2" to less than 70 pounds.

it's insane. they say that designers shouldn't make clothes for fat kids (hel, I was a fat kid and now I'm a fat mom) but then they wonder why ther is a crisi of eating disorders!

Grrrrr

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohj
Oh, for a world in which EVERYONE gets to wear clothes that fit.

Clothing sizing has changed since I started buying adult clothes. Including shoes. Once upon a time, you could fairly easily get shoes in different widths. Same design, different widths. You know, if your feet were a different width than the next person.

Then, I noticed lots of people apparently wearing the wrong width.

Hi, My name is Tina, I am new to this board but I HAD to jump in and add my 2 cents about shoes. I have been TRYING without luck to find a pair of sandals for the past couple months. I cannot wear sneakers during the summer, I break out in a horrible heat rash. (or man made materials.) I have had this problem since I was a baby and I don't think I am going to outgrow it soon. For the last 2 summers I have just bought some cheapy Walmart sandals, but I wanted some REAL ones this year. Ones that weren't horribly ugly. I have tried 3 different stores, no one carries wides. When I try to put on the regular sizes, (even the ones with adjustable straps) I can't even get my foot into them. All's I want is a pair of sandals that fits. Give me that and I will be MORE than happy to keep wearing capri pants, and my husbands teeshirts. Because of course, plus size shirts are just wider not longer. And doesn't everyone over a size 10 want a shirt that is really really wide, yet only goes to their belly button?? Sorry, had to rant.

Oh, and about the cloths. I was shopping in the women's sections at age 14. I was 5'3" about 130 -140lbs and wore a 38 C. Of course I was constantly told how fat I was. (even by my parents. ) And then people wonder why many teens have low self esteem.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
They don't want to make plus size clothes available to teens but they continue to put soda and other kinds of vending machines in thier schools and serve them crap to eat for lunches on a daily basis???? Where's the logic in that?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DebraBaker
I hate women's shoes, too narrow. I wear mens' sneakers because, for some odd reason, mens' shoes are shaped like someone's foot (amazing!!)

db

I wear almost exclusively men's clothes for similar reasons. The sizes make sense. I have a short inseam and long waist, never could find pants that fit right in the women's department - they're too long in the leg and ride up. The shorts are even worse, they're all waaaay too short and the pockets are tiny and useless. And of course they give me perma-wedgie just like the pants.

Why do women put up with uncomfortable clothing? Don't even get me started on high heels

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkpear
I wear almost exclusively men's clothes for similar reasons. The sizes make sense. I have a short inseam and long waist, never could find pants that fit right in the women's department - they're too long in the leg and ride up. The shorts are even worse, they're all waaaay too short and the pockets are tiny and useless. And of course they give me perma-wedgie just like the pants.

Why do women put up with uncomfortable clothing? Don't even get me started on high heels

I agree with you on the pants.. I wear mens pants and jeans.. The fit better, and I am NOT plus sized.. I'm 5ft 5in about 118 lbs.. BUT i have longer legs, and a fairly high waist.. Women's jeans are UNCOMFORTABLE!! I don't like to have my belly button covered when I wear pants.. ALL womens pants do this..

( I like high heels though)

Women of any size should be able to find clothes that fit them correctly, and look good.. Be they a size 0 or a size 42..

Warm Squishy Feelings..

Dyan

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Oh, and PROM?

Of course fat girls shouldn't get to go to prom! Heavens no!

I went with my exchange daughter from Hong Kong to look for prom dresses.... she desperately wanted me to try on dresses too.... she's a sz 2/4 and I was umm, 7 months pregnant and a sz 22

I found **3** sz 22 dresses appropriate for prom.

But this is better than when I went to prom, I suppose... I was a 16 then and ended up having to go to a bridal store because I couldn't find a dress that fit in the local mall.

Shame shame shame. Load em up with shame and there's no room for eating??

I don't get it.

Kimberly

·
Banned
463 Posts
I don't think shame is a good technique. Unhappy people don't take good care of themselves. Also was mentioned this paranoia with "standard looks", which I agree is bad.

My difference of opinion stands that I don't think it's right to eat too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that it's great that larger people can still find clothes that make them feel good about themselves. My friend complains that most of the plus sized clothes are created to make you look larger than you actually are. She has succumbed to wearing clothes that are too tight because she is not ashamed of her body.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Definately older too.

I saw some really nice clothes at Walmart (yeah I know) yesterday that I would have bought if their +size department had the same...

They didn't. They had frumpy things. Frumpier than even the maternity, but at least with maternity, they are trying to have stuff that looks "nice" for women.

Gez. I don't want to look like I'm 50. I want to wear styles that 20-30somethings are wearing. Not tents.

I got into an argument at a "career college" years ago. The "dean" said what I was wearing wasn't appropriate for work. T-shirts and black pants. Scuse me for being low income and not being able to afford much. So I went and spent money on clothing I didn't really think was appropriate for me, but was told by the store owner at the + size store that it was all fine. Uh. Yeah. Sure. The Dean the next day hauled me into his office and gave me hell for wearing shirts again that didn't "cover my crotch" or that weren't tucked in. I swear the man had it in for me because I was the only goddess sized person in the entire school. I went without decent food for a week to buy this shit and it wasn't good enough?

FYI: I finally found shirts that were "long enough" to his standards in Seattle for 100$cdn per during a visit a couple of years later. But, if I know him, he would have fussed up about the design on the shirt.

And no, I hate wearing dresses. I end up chaffing.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Ugh.

Quote:
The number of overweight children nationally is rising. From 1976 to 1980, 7% of U.S. children ages 6-11 were obese. Two decades later, the number had increased to 15%, according to the American Obesity Association. The organization considers children obese if they are at the 95th percentile of Body Mass Index.
Um, but where's the stuff that shows how totally stupid BMI is anyway? And what about the fact that they keep changing the magic number so that the people who weren't "fat" yesterday are considered fat today?

This article takes a totally bizarre stance. I can't believe anyone would be ridiculous enough to suggest that allowing for more clothing options for "fat" people is going to make more people want to be fat. Yeah, sure.

I do think there are lots of issues facing overweight kids, and there's lots society could be doing (or not doing!) to help them. But making it so that they have nothing to wear shouldn't be one of them.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:
The number of overweight children nationally is rising. From 1976 to 1980, 7% of U.S. children ages 6-11 were obese. Two decades later, the number had increased to 15%, according to the American Obesity Association. The organization considers children obese if they are at the 95th percentile of Body Mass Index.

In the 70's and 80's children had PE every day in school. Now they are lucky to have PE twice a week. Reading is more important, and getting the highest score possible on the STAR tests. Recess has also been cut. So besides video games and TV at home, children are also spending less time being active at school. The school my oldest went to in Kindergarden was from 8:20 to 1:10. They had one 20 min brunch recess, and one 30 min. lunch/recess. So these children spent 5 hours each day reading reading reading, with only 2 breaks. Children need more active time in schools as well as home. They can't blame everything on the parents.

Oh yea, and selling cookies and chips in the cafateria helps a lot as well.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I remember pe every day in the 70's...

Then we moved to BC... we were lucky if we got it every other day. And it was never... as good as it was in Ontario.

And one teacher had a love for soccer. That's all we ever really did. I hated it, but became real good in goal. Even with my glasses for a target.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
i remember shopping for my school clothes in highschool... we would go to the macy's juniors department... i was by NO means overweight (size 8 at the time)... but i was tallish and i blossomed a bit earlier (and more lol) than everyone else. i remember shopping there made me feel HORRIBLE. i would end up crying that nothing fit me. i remember thinking "LARGE!? large for WHO???" then i remember one issue of seventeen magazine... they were supposedly trying to be more realistic by showing models who looked like average teenagers, rather than having 100% waifs in their pages... turns out they just did a "plus sized" special, and you know what??? the models were beautiful and NORMAL. so what is with showing pictures of normal average sized (not overweight) girls and calling them "plus sized"??? for me it just reinforced the thought that no matter what, i would never be considered beautiful unless i wore a size 6.

i recently went by that same department in macy's (12ish years later), and the clothes they had were TINY. and SKANKY. i wouldn't take my daughter there if they were GIVING the clothes away.
:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.