Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got AF back and am on my first full cycle. I'm now post- Ov and, as I expected, having HUGE coping issues. This happened after dd #2 was born as well. My PMS starts as soon as OV is completed until AF starts. During those 2 weeks I get progressively less and less tolerant of the kids, my patience fuse gets shorter and shorter. I have serious rage issues. The last time, it developed into PPD by the end of the first year because I had such strong feelings of guilt for not being able to control myself.

In a nutshell, this attitude is not acceptable to anyone in my household. Yet I can't hold it back. Does anyone else have this problem? Last time I ended up taking Lexapro for a while, but I hated it. If I forgot a pill I'd rage up again or I'd be up all night, plus I had no sex drive at all. I'd like to try some other things first before I got to pills. I plan on watching my diet better and getting more excercise. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Has you doc labeled you as PMD? Pre-menstrual-dysphoria? (sp?) It sounds like you do need a little extra something, but I don't know what to suggest. Mine mostly went away after pregnancy and I didn't seek any treatment for it. Try googling PMD and wee what you get. HTH.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think she did mention that once, but I don't really know much about it. I guess I'll go look it up...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I started taking ProEfa( A fish oil suppliment) from Nordic Naturals and also a Mag-Calcuim-Zinc suppliment and I feel MUCH better.

I'm not as "at the end of my rope" as I was a couple of weeks ago.

to you

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That reminds me when I felt this way while I was pg, I took a calc/mag supplement and it helped a lot. Thanks!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I also found that calc/mag helped (it is also proven to make your cramps worse if you take it before and during your period)
and throughout pregnancy and for pms I found that Omega3 fatty acid supplements really help me keep the hormonal breakdowns at bay.
You need to do something. No one is supposed to feel like that!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot about the Omega 3. I used to use flax seed oil, and it helped too. I've been taking my prenatal vites again and calc/mag and it has helped. Much more patient Mamma

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great you have addes your omega-3s. Also consider adding B complex. This is a wonderful vitamin for mood changes, depression, lethergy, etc.... Also just look at your diet- make sure it is low in fat. And try to get out and walk or excercise. Can you put the kids in a stroller and take a brisk walk and get in the sun. THis can help release endorfins and that is helpful with PMS stuff.
Good luck. We call it the "crazy cloud" in our household.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also have PMDD. It was fine right after the girls were born, but it is now starting to return. If you do decide to take meds, try Effexor or Celexa. They both are more targeted for this problem. As much as you love your kids, make sure that you get enough time for the things that you value outside of being a good mommy. This tends to help ease the stress level. Also make sure you are getting help around the house and with the kids. I know I get way more crabby when my boyfriend doesn't help out as much as I need him to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts