Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a miserable day and my period is due soon. Are there any herbs or something that would help with my mood swings? This is really the first time I have to deal with PMS after kids. This would be my 2nd period after dd#2. My 5th after dd#1, 5th in 6-1/2 years. I'm cranky and very irritable and just not a very good mom. Before kids PMS was kind of okay. DH knows to avoid me
:, but with kids its really hard and I hate being so moody.
:

·
Registered
232 Posts
St. John's Wort is supposed to help but I always found it most helpful to modify my diet by cutting out salt, grease, caffeine, sugar and anything else "junky" the week before my period -- makes a world of difference even though it's hard to pass on chocolate when you're craving it!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
-calcium/magnesium citrate should be taken in a 1:1 ratio with Vitamin D3. The magnseium helps with fluid retention, breast tenderness, anxiety, fatigue and bloating while the calcium assists with cramping.
-vitamin b complex can reduce water retention, breast tenderness, irritability, and depression symptoms.
-Essential fatty acids, see above

-vitamin E has been shown to reduce the duration of pain associated with menstruation. Okay, cramps.

It might be helpful to your particular type of PMS to take Chaste tree, daily. You won't see any results this month but most possible next month or after. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mamas! Its funny. I was off chocolate for 2 years and then the week before my period returned I got a bar of dark chocolate. I just polished off another bar yesterday. I'll look into the suppliments(sp?). I also took some pulsatilla last night and I actually feel a little better today (could be placebo, but whatever).

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I second the list by neverdoingitagain and will add amino acids. I take these sometimes during pms and they help TONS. (Can also help w/ppd or depression in general.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts