Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what's going on, but this month I'm a raging, flaming, bee-otch! I can't stand myself I'm that bad. I wish I could lock myself up in the closet and come out next month. My poor husband.

What does everyone use to tone the PMS down a notch? I'm noticeably more crampy and bloated (not PG!), and definitely more moody. I'm always a little snappy around this time, but for some reason it's REALLY bad. I have to go to the health food store to get some stuff for DD's teething, so I thought I'd check in here first for ideas on my remedies.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
5htp is good, you can get that everywhere....I find if I cut down on meat a bit, that helps.

Walking is good.

you could always have a good old scream into a pillow...if nothing it will make you feel silly

I really think we are meant to be as gentle on ourselves as we can be, if that means gorging on chocolate and crying at anything then thats what we should do

feel better

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Fish Oil & Magnesium!

I used to have wicked pms & awful cramps (abdomen, leg, back), doubled over & barely able to move, diarrhea, well you get the picture. I started taking fish oil for depression & to help my dry skin & also did some reading about magnesium. I take the Mg & B complex about a week before my period, & if I don't remember, as soon as I feel that 'twinge'

Honestly, I'm a new woman. I can't believe the difference. I also don't drink Diet Coke at all any more, which I think has also helped (I used to drink 5-6 cans/day at one time). I don't think it's the caffeine since I still have coffee & iced tea.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take magnesium and cod liver oil already for muscle problems and fibromyalgia, so I'm good there. But what is 5htp?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also found that less meat really helped my cramps. Once I went vegetarian a few years ago, I started having almost no cramps at all...not sure why, but it's awesome.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
evening primrose oil on the cramps, take naproxen sodium before they get bad. some obs prescribe it beginning up to 72 hours before the period for that reason. it stops excess hormone production.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts