Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argh! I have been vomiting or nauseous all day and feel very light headed, which is really frustrating because, while I have been making alot of changes to my lifestyle and diet lately, they are all supposed to be _good_ for me. I just wanted to know if anyone else had a bad reaction to any of the natural treatments for fertility.
I have been drinking 3-4 cups of decaf green tea a day, 1-2 raw carrots, and taking prenatal vitamins (wild oats generic). (Also eating lots of fresh veggies, walking, blah blah blah...) It's weird because I am on the brink of ovulation but this ovulationy time has been so much more intense than normal which I had chalked up to better health and more vitamins equaling more intense hormonal reactions. For example, I had eggwhite tinged with blood this month which I've never gotten before in addition to eggwhite without end, heavy duty cramps, breasts of pain. I figured that I was getting a good reaction to everything and this is what is supposed to happen. But vomiting? It happened right after the green tea and prenatal this morning, and I think it's one of those two that's making me sick. Has this happened to any one else? Even if it hasn't, do you have any advice for me? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I didn't... I'm thinking that may be what did it. I looked up the prenatals online and they said some people get vomiting and also, umm, black stools
:, which is another symptom I've been having. I'm glad I can just take it with food, otherwise I would feel pretty bummed out about having invested money into vomit pills. Thanks for taking a few minutes to respond, you made my day 50x better.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yes, I have been very nauseated and pukey with certain prenatals in the past. Certain ones have coatings on them that bother me. With my last pregnancy, I had to switch to chewables (prescription) to get them down, and my ms was otherwise not very bad. But even outside of pregnancy, I can't tolerate most of them very well.

The Stuart prenatals I am taking now seem to be better.

One thing about taking it with food--I was always told more nutrients would be absorbed if I took it on an empty stomach. Just something to think about. If you have a doc or midwife already, the prescription chewable ones are not much more expensive than the over the counter prenatals.

The black stools come from the iron in the vitamins.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I bought the wild oats prenatals thinking I was doing something really great for my body. Nauseous every time I take them, and seeing as you have to take 4 of them a day it is hard to get them down w/o being uncomfortable.
I've never had this problem with prenatals before.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Actually, you should take your vitamins with food, or right after eating. You're body will better absorb the nutrients because it is producing enzymes to breakdown the food at the same time.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I know I'm just quibbling here, and hope you don't think I'm a PITA, but this is an area I'm interested in.
Prenatals have a lot of iron, and iron is absorbed better on an empty stomach. Although, I guess if the only way to tolerate it is with food, than that's the best way.
Other artificial supplements are sometimes in a form that can bind to things in food, like fiber, and keep them from being absorbed as well.

<<Vitamins
Question: When is the best time to take a multi-vitamin, with meals or on an empty stomach? Could a calcium supplement be taken at the same time or separately? Are there any particular foods to avoid eating at the same time as taking vitamins or calcium?

Answer: There are two types of vitamins-- water and fat soluble vitamins. Both appear to be absorbed best on an empty stomach, although food doesn't make a major difference. If there is an iron supplement with the vitamins, it is absolutely absorbed best on an empty stomach.>> http://www.druginfonet.com/index.php...faq/faqvit.htm

Okay, now after all that, anyone know of a good supplement that uses more natural vitamin and mineral sources? The only one I have found is Rainbow Light, and I'm not completely comfortable with the added herbs and the Vitamin A content.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Some people who can't tolerate the prenatal pills do better with Floradix which is a liquid vitamin supplement.

If you are really having trouble and your diet is good you can also take nettle or alfala as a tea. These are very high in nutrients and trace minerals usually lacking in our diets.

·
Registered
79 Posts
After looking at a million different prenatals and taking a variety of them over the past 5 years I have recently started to take New Chapter Perfect Prenatal. I am REALLY pleased with them. I have always felt gaggy after taking prenatals and burp them up for an hour after I take them - not with New Chapter. I can take them on an empty stomach and they feel great. Also, they have no herbs (I too have been concerned about rainbow lights herb content - especially for early pregnancy). New Chapters website is:

www.new-chapter.com

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I would recommend nettle infusions. Nettle is high in iron, calcium, magnesium, and vitamin K, all of which are good for a pregnant woman. And because it's a liquid, it will be absorbed easier. No guarantees it won't make you want to puke too, though.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My midwife told me to test prenatals by putting them in a glass of water. I think she said they should completely dissolve in 10 minutes. If not, they are just sitting in your stomach, possibly making you sick. My friend had prescription prenatals (I can't remember which) and they didn't dissolve at all.

For iron, I love Floradix, very easy on my stomach and no black stools.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flowerbud
After looking at a million different prenatals and taking a variety of them over the past 5 years I have recently started to take New Chapter Perfect Prenatal. I am REALLY pleased with them. I have always felt gaggy after taking prenatals and burp them up for an hour after I take them - not with New Chapter. I can take them on an empty stomach and they feel great. Also, they have no herbs (I too have been concerned about rainbow lights herb content - especially for early pregnancy). New Chapters website is:

www.new-chapter.com
Those are the ones I have. No icky stomach at all!

Jess

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flowerbud

www.new-chapter.com
This sounds great! I have been taking the Rainbow Lights and getting nauseated if I don't take them with a lot of food in my stomach and late in the day. I've also been concerned because of their high herb content for early pg (because of that book about the causes of ms...).

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I take the Twin Lab prenatals and I don't get nauseous (the normal, non-natural vitamins always smelled so gross that I would throw up). They are in capsule form so they have no taste or smell. They also have no tablet binders, coatings, or colorings, fish, fish oils, wheat, yeast, barely, rice, lactose (milk sugar), milk and egg products, added sugars, sodium, artificial colors, sweeteners or preservatives.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been very happy with GNC's prenatal vitamins. I'm usually somewhat sensitive to vitamins, but I've taken these on both a full and empty stomach and haven't had any problems. I got these after I looked at several varieties of prenatals, and I was very concerned with the high amounts of vitamins in the others I looked at. You're supposed to take two of the GNC pills a day, but I just take one (that still provides 400 mg folic acid); my doctor said that was fine and that I didn't need to take both. They also say they have no sugar, no artificial colors, no artificial flavors, no preservatives, no sodium, no wheat, no gluten, no soy, and no dairy.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Black stools are from dehydration (the vomiting can cause this) and the ferrous sulfate (iron) . It can cause constipation and later hemorroids!

The nausea is from both the iron supplement and the B-vitamins. You need the B-vitamins, especially B6 which helps prevent m/s, but your system is overwhelmed by them early in the morning and does not know what to do with it. Especially the B3 niacin which causes the flush. Get a B-vitamin supplement that contains niacinimide instead.

Try the old dry toast and OJ with the vitamin pill and see if it helps.

Get an iron supplement that is ferrous gluconate or fumerate.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I tried the Wild Oats prenatals and had to stop taking them because they made me sick. It was slightly better when I ate something with them, but never foolproof. I stopped because I figured it's not much good to take them if they're going to come right back up. I think they have something in them that just didn't agree with me.

This was before I got pregnant

1 - 20 of 20 Posts