Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes, I have been very nauseated and pukey with certain prenatals in the past. Certain ones have coatings on them that bother me. With my last pregnancy, I had to switch to chewables (prescription) to get them down, and my ms was otherwise not very bad. But even outside of pregnancy, I can't tolerate most of them very well.

The Stuart prenatals I am taking now seem to be better.

One thing about taking it with food--I was always told more nutrients would be absorbed if I took it on an empty stomach. Just something to think about. If you have a doc or midwife already, the prescription chewable ones are not much more expensive than the over the counter prenatals.

The black stools come from the iron in the vitamins.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
I know I'm just quibbling here, and hope you don't think I'm a PITA, but this is an area I'm interested in.
Prenatals have a lot of iron, and iron is absorbed better on an empty stomach. Although, I guess if the only way to tolerate it is with food, than that's the best way.
Other artificial supplements are sometimes in a form that can bind to things in food, like fiber, and keep them from being absorbed as well.

<<Vitamins
Question: When is the best time to take a multi-vitamin, with meals or on an empty stomach? Could a calcium supplement be taken at the same time or separately? Are there any particular foods to avoid eating at the same time as taking vitamins or calcium?

Answer: There are two types of vitamins-- water and fat soluble vitamins. Both appear to be absorbed best on an empty stomach, although food doesn't make a major difference. If there is an iron supplement with the vitamins, it is absolutely absorbed best on an empty stomach.>> http://www.druginfonet.com/index.php...faq/faqvit.htm

Okay, now after all that, anyone know of a good supplement that uses more natural vitamin and mineral sources? The only one I have found is Rainbow Light, and I'm not completely comfortable with the added herbs and the Vitamin A content.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.