Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted 2 types of pole beans. This is my first year doing pole ones, I usually do bush.

My Scarlet ones have been flowering for almost 4 weeks and are just starting to product small little beans that look like worms.lol They're almost cute.

My Green ones are over 6.5 feet tall but have no flowers yet. According to the package I should have started picking them(and the Scarlet ones) almost 2 weeks ago. I planted the 2nd week of May, about 2 weeks later than I usually do but it froze the week before so I waited. It has not frozen and there is no weather damage at all but at what point should I expect these things to stop growing taller and start producing at least flowers?

In past years I have frozen beans and peas together but my peas are almost done producing.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Hmmmm. I can't tell you for SURE, but I'm in zone 5/6 (right on the border). I planted everything a little late, as the rain just WOULDN'T let up, and I could not make myself go out in to torrential rain this spring to plant seeds. I kept making myself feel better by telling myself that it's not GOOD for the soil to be worked when it's wet...

Anyway, I probably planted my beans (green pole...I think Kentucky Wonders, Wax...I don't remember which I planted this year and I don't have my map handy, runner beans...scarlet and sunset, and Cherokee trail of tears, which is pole and can be used as snap beans small or soup beans large) two to two and a half weeks late. My cherokee trail of tears are mostly blossoming, but have lots of small ones, and I've harvested a handful in the last two days.

My kentucky wonder and wax beans are mostly at the small stage (like your "wormy" ones) as well.

My runner beans have had five or six each in the last few days to harvest, and will have several more in the next couple of weeks that are finally ready.

So, I'd say you seemed to be right on schedule. You're around where I am, anyway! FWIW, I also planted some wax bush beans, and, yes, they're already almost played out.

I would hope that your climbers would start blossoming soon. I'd look for 'em in the next week or so, I'd say...if you're anywhere near the same zone I am...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Your soil may or may not be a little nitrogen rich but I think it will start to work itself out very soon. Once those bean flowers get going, you will have a ton of beans! I have found pole beans to be a bit slower in getting there, but once they are there, they keep going, and going, and going.................. Hopefully, any day now
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Oh, and if you are growing scarlet runner beans, they are noted to be mostly ornamental, as I am sure you have read. Possibly why they have such little wormy pods so far!
I've only grown them a handful of times and that has been in my flower beds as a pretty vine. I have only had very small crops of usuable beans, like 3 or 4 bean pods per plant, even though there are many more small undeveloped pods. I let the big ones dry on the plant and the actual beans themselves are so very beautiful. Bright purple with black markings.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Huh. That's funny. I never heard that...and my runner beans produce like crazy...but I have a zillion (okay, three, but that means that there's almost always ONE in the garden) hummingbirds pollinating them, so maybe that's why they're so prolific...?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I am specifically talking about Scarlet Runner beans, maybe there are different varieties that produce more?
Okay, just looked up some stuff, maybe I plant them in a spot that gets too hot, apparently they do not like it too hot. I found mixed reviews, some mentioning the low crop yields, some claiming moderate producers, and some claiming high yield.
That's how it goes with gardening, isn't it?
It's just something that I have read over the years and have found to be true when I have planted them. How interesting.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't been in the garden in about 3 days because it's been cold.

My green beans are Romano.

Those ones were supposed to be ready to pick on the 16th. The Scarlet ones on the 20th.

It's weird because everything else in the garden was early. We had alot of hot weather(90's which is hot here) and we watered every 1-2 days. We didn't have rain for 4-6 weeks up until about 3-4 days ago.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaywyn
I am specifically talking about Scarlet Runner beans, maybe there are different varieties that produce more?
Okay, just looked up some stuff, maybe I plant them in a spot that gets too hot, apparently they do not like it too hot. I found mixed reviews, some mentioning the low crop yields, some claiming moderate producers, and some claiming high yield.
That's how it goes with gardening, isn't it?
It's just something that I have read over the years and have found to be true when I have planted them. How interesting.

I grow both scarlet and sunset runner beans, with the same results. And mine are on the corner of a south wall and an eastern facing porch, climbing fishing line that goes up the post, and beyond, to make a kind of screen at the end of my porch. Dunno. I don't have the most fertile soil, either. They just seem to like it here!

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I saw a flower from my bedroom window.lol

I've been avoiding my garden, but must go out to get peas in the morning so I'll check for sure then.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still no flowers on the romano beans. The Scarlet ones are still quite small and the rate they're going it'll be the end of august before we pick them.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Hmmmm. I'd have your soil tested. Should only cost a few bucks, and maybe there's a deficiency that's causing them to keep from producing!

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never had a problem with beans before. We just had some really cool weather(getting only a few degrees above freezing at night some nights) so I'm hoping this new heat will help them along.

On a side note, my potatoes are huge. They are as big or bigger than what they were in October last year when we harvested them all.

The first year we had potatoes they were gigantic. 1 potatoe would feed dh and I 4 meals.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I HAVE FLOWERS!!!

it's about time.lol

My scarlett beans are now 10-11" long, but not fat(ripe) enough yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts