1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
My big problem with this: The forced their way in, no warrant, no where does it say the kids were in actual danger. Yes, the people are *choice words* for selling, keeping, abusing and fighting dogs, but how are the kids in danger for that?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Ok that is completely sad. They took the dogs away so therefore the supposed danger to the children is gone isn't it? Yet they still have them in protective custody?? The story of course doesn't elaborate on the conditions of the house but I would assume it was just dirty. It didn't sound like the kids were abused. I'm not saying they should live in such an environment but I don't think they should be taken away either once the danger of the dogs were removed.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
if the Officer was there with a Social Worker, which he was.

Asked "do you have children here....."

He said "no"

the police officer heard childrens voices.

The officer now had probable cause to enter the house.

I have no problem with what the officer did personally, the social worker was there to check in on children because the house was reported. The man obstructed that.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
If they had 68 pit bulls I would think you would/could have potential for unbelievable filth. I am thinking of how many pet hoarders homes look. That house isn't design for 68 pets of any kind.

There are some legal irregularities like them "busting" in without warrant.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelsi
Ok that is completely sad. They took the dogs away so therefore the supposed danger to the children is gone isn't it? Yet they still have them in protective custody?? The story of course doesn't elaborate on the conditions of the house but I would assume it was just dirty. It didn't sound like the kids were abused. I'm not saying they should live in such an environment but I don't think they should be taken away either once the danger of the dogs were removed.

With 68 dogs and 2 people the house can be considered a bio hazzard until it is cleaned.

Dirty doesn't begin to describe what 'could' have been the living conditions. And I'm sorry.... but if the mother felt it was ok to house her children in those living conditions...... Short term intervention doesn't seem uncalled for.

I know that separating the kids from their mom is traumatizing to the kids, but the welfare of the kids really should come first.

That house would need new carpets, new flooring, 'more' than a thorough cleaning before it could be considered even close to sanitary.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
moved to first post for more information.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kama'aina mama
I find it interesting that the mother was not charged with anything. Of course they took her kids from her anyway.
Maybe, they are considering charges against mom for allowing the kids to live in the conditions they were in.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
One link says "very poor condtion" the other says "squalid" What happened to ordering the parents to fix thing OR they'd take the kids, instead of making them do it to get the kids back?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
did they actually say the man was the dad?

I thought they called him 'a man' in the first report and her 'the mother of the children'

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
ah i see it now.

father of at least one of the children in teh second report.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Holy crap, how do they fit that many dogs in such a tiny place? Yuck, the stench of feces and urine had to be overwelming. How terrible for those kids

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
warning-rant from dog lover-

i am going to go out on a limb here and say that if people breed dogs to fight, and have 68 of them crammed into a tiny little house-they are bad people and therefore bad parents.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharlla
Holy crap, how do they fit that many dogs in such a tiny place? Yuck, the stench of feces and urine had to be overwelming. How terrible for those kids

I agree...
That qualifies as more than just "dirty" for me...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthea™
One link says "very poor condtion" the other says "squalid" What happened to ordering the parents to fix thing OR they'd take the kids, instead of making them do it to get the kids back?
It depends on the conditions of the house. My brother's kids were immediately removed from his ex's house and given to my brother to live with him b/c the conditions were so bad when the police came to check on the girls.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I guess can I understand it... but not really, because I guarantee the house I grew up in is worse then this house. My dad always have 30-40 cats and the house was absolutely discusting. Garbage went on the floor, not cans, dirty dishes were piled everywhere, even the floor... my brother's dogs had mange and the grass out back was dead it was so filthy. The smell was....I can't describe it. I was used to it, but went away to live with my adult sister and came back, they had CLEANED UP and I still gagged. The cat crap and urine smell was permiated into the hard wood floors, so even though the carpeting had been ripped up, the small was unavoidable...the cat poop was so thick behind the furniture, it was moving up the walls.

Strangely enough, I was never sick
: So I guess my point of view is jaded. I don't think I should have been taken from my parents, maybe threatened so they'd clean up.... it took me years to learn the skills to keep a clean house (and I do, my dad lives with us now and can't believe how well I do, considering my mom, his wife, was useless in the housekeeping department)

I'm rambling...........

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthea™
I guess can I understand it... but not really, because I guarantee the house I grew up in is worse then this house. My dad always have 30-40 cats and the house was absolutely discusting. Garbage went on the floor, not cans, dirty dishes were piled everywhere, even the floor... my brother's dogs had mange and the grass out back was dead it was so filthy. The smell was....I can't describe it. I was used to it, but went away to live with my adult sister and came back, they had CLEANED UP and I still gagged. The cat crap and urine smell was permiated into the hard wood floors, so even though the carpeting had been ripped up, the small was unavoidable...the cat poop was so thick behind the furniture, it was moving up the walls.

Strangely enough, I was never sick
: So I guess my point of view is jaded. I don't think I should have been taken from my parents, maybe threatened so they'd clean up.... it took me years to learn the skills to keep a clean house (and I do, my dad lives with us now and can't believe how well I do, considering my mom, his wife, was useless in the housekeeping department)

I'm rambling...........

It's alright, everyone has their own point of views on how to look at a situation, but you DO understand that the living conditions you describe are not safe for a child enviroment? even if you made it through, there is so much wrong with what you describe I don't know where to start.

Safe is a relative term, sure you weren't in 'direct danger' but that enviroment you describe definately would not be considered 'livable'

This next comment isn't meant for snark, don't take it that way....

Just because you had worse, and you made it through alright, doesn't mean someone else should have to do the same.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Oh, I absolutely agree, NO ONE should have to live like that, but it would have done me no good to be removed from my mother and father, as crappy as they were. I wasn't being outright abused, my parents just didn't understand. Actually, I think my dad did, but he's disabled and can't physically clean house, my mom is the lazy one. If CPS would have ever showed up, I hope they would have given my parents a week to clean up (or move, as nasty as it was) before deciding my fate. I think given a choice, most parents would bust a$$ to fix the problem so they don't lose the kids.

I could be wrong about alllllll this and the parents in this story don't give a rip, the kids showed signs of physical abuse, etc. Just going on what I view the situation to be based on my own past.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am guessing that the mom would be able to work towards getting the kids back if she can provide them with what they need.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts