Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
A PASSENGER was holding the baby?!? WTF?!?!

Once again it occurs to me that it is harder to drive or run a business legally in most states than it is to become a parent.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
very sad event.

Unfortunately a number of months ago something similar happened here.

The father was driving with a suspended licence, two kids in the back, mother breastfeeding a newborn in the front passenger seat and they are involved in an accident.

Newborn gets ejected and dies.

Mother and Father make excuses saying baby was hungry so they HAD to feed it and father said that he had to drive because wife was feeding baby.
Some people just don't get it.

No brains ... why couldn't they just stop the vehicle, feed the baby and go again? Because I bet in their opinion something bad will never happen.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I will NEVER FORGET the time I took a friend of mine to a doctor appt. when I was 18 and fresh out of high school. She was 21 and had a new baby. On the way back it started storming and little Mya started screaming and crying. I exited the freeway and pulled into a parking lot so my friend could jump into the back seat and comfort her baby. She settled down and we were on our way. Then about 10 minutes later Mya started crying again. My friend looked at me and said "do you think it's ok if I get her out of her car seat and hold her?" with a tone of "oh lord I have NO idea what I'm doing" in her voice. I said kindly, "no, I don't think that would be a good idea because then she won't be protected in case someone hits us. I can pull off again if you want or we can wait until we get back to my house." I can't remember what we did but I was amazed it was even a concern. I am very thankful that she was with ME when this situation arose so I could help her.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
I would jump to 'people need to be better educated' quicker than 'some people shouldn't be parents'...............
: While it's not a choice I would make, I know some people feel they don't really *have* a choice. We don't know the whole situation.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Quote:

I would jump to 'people need to be better educated' quicker than 'some people shouldn't be parents'...............
i agree.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:

Me too. Now I might say that if they hit the child or meant to cause the child harm but some people just don't think of the what ifs. I've had plenty of older people tell me that they held their babies while they were driving and their child never got hurt
:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
One of the most horrifying things I witnessed as a new mother occurred at a WIC-sponsored "class." All these new moms filed into the health dept (myself included) after just getting there with their newborns all in infant carriers. I was mortified when I began looking at all these cute newborns....and how unbelievably loose the straps on their carseats were. I just remember that so many of them were so loose, you knew no baby would ever stay in during a high speed crash. I shudder when I think of that, and how "neurotic" I am when we put my son into his seat. I have this, like, 2-minute ritual that I MUST go through in order to put him in his seat....we can't leave until I've checked everything. My husband has finally gotten used to and stopped being mad that I always double-check his work (love him dearly, but sometimes he doesn't take the time that's needed). I do that to anybody who's strapping my boy in, because at the end of the day, I know I'm ultimately responsible.

What's sad is that these people have probably been better informed about putting their baby back to sleep by their pediatrician than they were about properly restraining their child. When we left the hospital with my son, the staff refused to comment on whether or not we'd installed the seat right or had him strapped in well. It was too legally "out of bounds." But boy did they have a lot to say about how to put him to sleep! Both serious issues, both deserving equal education.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Our local hospitals won't allow you to leave with your infant if you don't have the carseat installed correctly and the child strapped in right. They have a certified car seat tech on staff there. I guess maybe "Some people shouldn't be parents" is a strong statement. Most people in low-socioeconomic situations have more resources available to them than I do as far as infant care is concerned. Our hospitals give free safety classes and even give carseats away for free to those that need them. Unless you live in the backwoods somewhere without any connection to the outside world then you should just know better than to make a choice like that. The funny thing is you see parents driving around with infants and toddlers "loose" in the car, but the parents are sure as Sh*t buckled up.

I agree in education, but in some aspects some people really shouldn't be parent. Especially if you blatently ignore laws/saftey standards that are spewed around as much as toy ads these days. If you are ignorant to them, it is different. I just wonder how anyone can be ignorant to these things anymore. There really aren't too many excuses. I have no business saying who can or can't have children, and neither does anyone else for that matter. It just saddens the h*ll out of me to see things like this, I get very angry and react in a harsh way. Poor babies, thats all!

*ETA-I am not talking about people in other countries, just here in the US. I don't know anything about laws, suggestions, etc. anywhere else. I just know that HERE there is so much propaganda about infant safety I knew what to do WAY before I even thought of having children.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kleines View Post
I agree in education, but in some aspects some people really shouldn't be parent. Especially if you blatently ignore laws/saftey standards that are spewed around as much as toy ads these days. If you are ignorant to them, it is different. I just wonder how anyone can be ignorant to these things anymore. There really aren't too many excuses. I have no business saying who can or can't have children, and neither does anyone else for that matter. It just saddens the h*ll out of me to see things like this, I get very angry and react in a harsh way. Poor babies, thats all!
Oh, I agree that some people SHOULDN'T be parents, but I'm always wary of jumping to that conclusion right away, even if it is my first, emotional response. I just got sensitive to when people say that after I did a rotation in L&D, and heard the nurses gossiping about this one mother who was laboring drug-free and being loud about it. They said *she* shouldn't have kids because she couldn't "handle" it, without knowing anything else about her life situation (I think there might have been a race issue in there, though). So the comment itself gets my hackles up.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I don't blame you! I agree it isn't a good thing to jump to that conclusion either, but sometimes I just can't help myself. I try, I really do! Being a mother and a pregnant one makes me very emotional and jumpy about things like that. When I was PG with DS Barak Obama was running for Senate here in IL. I HATED him b/c I read somewhere that he supported partial birth abortion. After I had DS and got over the hormones, I realized that I actully like him. (I still don't support partial birth abortion, but I'll never agree with everyone on everything as opinionated as I am). Sorry if that is OT, just an example of the hormones!! ha ha.

Anyway, the best we can hope is that everyone survives the accident and that they learned a valuable lesson. I hope they go on to be car seat advocates.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Quote:

not me- they shouldn't have kids. Educating oneself about carseat safety is so very basic that if someone doesn't get it, they shouldn't be parents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.