Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the Dr. Sears schedule with my 1 year old and she has had one of the polio vaccines and is supposed to get the next tomorrow but I'm now wondering why I need to do polio anyway: according to the CDC there hasn't been a case in the Western Hemisphere since 1991 and relatively few cases world wide. I'm not planning on traveling anywhere with her anytime in the near future...does she really need the vaccine? Did/will your kids get it?<br>
Oh, and I'm guessing this has been discussed before but I can't figure out how to do a search. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
No, I won't be getting my daughter the polio vaccine. There is so little, if any, risk of her contracting it that it just doesn't seem to make sense to vaccinate her against it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I was wondering this exact same thing! DD2 is one month old and I took her in today for a well-child visit. I showed her selective vax schedule to her pediatrician to see what she thought. (We're not starting vax until 4 months, FYI). It includes DTaP, Hib and PVC (Prevnar). Our doc is pretty okay with selective vax, but she was like, "no IPV?". I had considered the polio vax originally (per Dr Sears) but then thought, why?? The disease is basically irradicated in the Wester Hemisphere, right?

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Polio is one I would definitely cross off my list if you weren't doing traveling.<br><br>
I'd probably be on the fence about if it we were traveling to an area where polio was still around.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
We'll likely be traveling to polio areas when the kid is a couple of years old, and will vax in time for that, but not before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts