Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies,
You helped me before, so I'm coming to you again.

I have to write a paper for school - it needs to center around communication and I thought about doing a discourse analysis. I'd prefer to write about something that interests me or is topical, so Covid seems an obvious choice. However, I'm hesitant as I am probably what most people would label a conspiracy theorist (being that I'm unjabbed and sceptical about everything going on), so I am also nervous to go this route. But if I did, do you guys have any idea for the communication that I could focus on? Political speeches, CDC (propaganda) etc? Anything that stands out? It has to be somewhat focused, so it probably can't be covid communication in general.
Also, do you think there is any way to do this in a neutral way, so I won't be ripped apart for wearing an aluminum foil hat?:rolleyes:

Appreciate any input you may have,

Stella

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think this is a great idea, and very brave to undertake. I think it's helpful to approach a narrowly focused aspect of the broader covid conversation. If it were me, I'd keep myself out of the paper. Some ideas below:

-how ought doctors discuss the vaccine with their patients? What should their goal be? What does the patient have a right to know? What does informed consent truly entail? In the end? Has the doctor done her job if the patient still refuses the vaccine? If the doctor convinces the patient but withholds some of the facts, has he done his duty?

-is it appropriate for the media to shame the unvaccinated? What is the media's goal? Does shaming help to achieve this goal? How could the media reframe the conversation to better achieve its goal?

-given that the president vowed to reunite the country (I assume you're in the U.S. - forgive me if you're elsewhere), has his approach throughout this pandemic brought that promise into view, or had the opposite effect? How might the president reframe his policies and speeches to be more inclusive and bring the country closer together?

-the ethics of vaccine mandates, as a violation of medical privacy (this isn't about who is and isn't jabbed, but rather the violation of what used to be private info)

-are vaccine mandates a form of discrimination? Argue yes and no, and conclude with your opinion.

-what are the broad consequences of vaccine mandates? Will people risk their jobs instead of taking the jab? What are the implications of losing a significant percentage of the workforce?

-is the vaccine a personal choice? Discuss research into whether or not the vaccine prevents, ecourages, or is a neutral factor in transmission.

-has the government's interference done more good, more harm, or been a neutral factor in lives saved since the pandemic began? Discuss the implications to viral disease, other physical illness and treatment (eg. cancer, doctor check ups), mental health, the economy, and general quality of life as affected by lockdowns, border closures, and mandates. Alternatively, discuss how govt. interference has affected one of these things (eg. mental health, crime, homelessness, etc.).

-if vaccine mandates are acceptable, what role should exemptions play? Discuss the medical research for natural immunity, herd immunity, valid medical exemptions; make a case for and against religious and philosophical exemptions; and conclude with your opinion on whether exemptions should allowed, which ones, and how accessible they should be - based on the arguments presented

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent ideas, Lavender. I truly appreciate your input. Please keep it coming. This has given me a lot to think about.

·
Registered
19,155 Posts
This reminds me of my daughter's experience in college, now many years ago. She was taking a communication class and she and every other student hated the textbook. They were supposed to do a presentation arguing in favor of a very controversial opinion. She argued in favor of book-burning, using the example of the loathed textbook as the example of a book which really deserved to be used as a fire-starter. The professor hated her position, but gave her an A as she followed every guideline for the presentation to a T.

I like the informed consent aspect Lavender suggested. This has a solid foundation in medical ethics, so you won't have any trouble finding arguments on both sides of the question, nor examples from all the regular medical settings to contrast with the weak informed consent in relation to covid related vaccines.

·
Registered
19,155 Posts
Thanks Deborah.
Any idea where I should start to look for more info then :)
A good place to start is PubMed and good terms to search on are informed consent.
Do you have access to databases through your school? Does the school have a library with a reference librarian? If yes to either or both questions, I'd start with the library and ask for help finding some authoritative materials on medical informed consent and it has evolved over time. For the last 20 or 30 years, medical informed consent has been expanding around pretty much everything except water fluoridation and vaccines, so you shouldn't have trouble laying a solid foundation of what constitutes informed consent and the areas where informed consent tends to be ignored/bypassed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much again, Deborah.
Yeah, I do have access through my university.
Now I just need to formulate a research question....hmmmm🤔

·
Registered
19,155 Posts
Thank you so much again, Deborah.
Yeah, I do have access through my university.
Now I just need to formulate a research question....hmmmm🤔
Sorry I didn't acknowledge this. I don't always look in this sub-forum.

How is it going?
Unless I'm really passionate about the exact research question, I'll often start from the other end, doing a bunch of article searches until I find some that grab me, and then posing a research question that will allow me to use those articles. Sneaky!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts