Mothering Forum banner

Did you use size NB covers?

• No, I skipped them and went right to size small.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Yes, I used them.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • My baby weighed in the 5-6 lb range.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • My baby weighed in the 6-7 lb range.

• My baby weighed in the 7-8 lb range.

• My baby weighed in the 8-9 lb range.

• My baby weighed int he 9-10 lb range.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • My baby weighed 10+ lbs.

Votes: 5 7.6%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or did you go right to size small? Please also choose the weight range of your baby.

How did it work for you? Would you do anything differently? Which brand(s) did you prefer? Just trying to decide the best way to spend my money.

TIA!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I had newborn proraps on hand when he was born, but he didn't fit in them at all!! He was 10.6 and I had to go straight to smalls. I only had 2 smalls and had to quickly order a bunch more. I liked Bumpy's covers best, but I know lots of people liked the nb prowraps. I would say if you plan on going the nb route, have some smalls waiting in the wings...you'll never know when you are going to need them!

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
My babe was 6lb15oz and still fits her NB bummis wraps and XS bumkins with some room to spare (at around 9 1/2 lbs now). The colored NB proraps didn't fit past 2 1/2 wks with a pf and now just squeeze on w/ a kissaluvs 0. I also had 1 diaperap that I got off ebay for cheap and that worked about as well as the Prorap.

But for wool, I went right to a couple Tootsweet smalls from the start because the snap placement around the legs was perfect.

I think I would have gotten a couple more proraps for the early weeks (her cord didn't fall off til 16 days) and the bummis were a little big early on. Also, what I don't like with the bummis is that they absorb a bit of the bf poo moisture and can't be reused like a prorap/diaperap. When you're changing lots of poo dipes you run through covers pretty quickly!

Sorry if this response is jumbled---been up since 4am! :yawn

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I was expecting a big fat baby. Instead I got a skiny L-O-N-G one. So when he was a week old and already 9.5 lbs I went out and got nb covers. I couldn't stand the leaks around the legs anymore. He wore them till he was 6 weeks old and I think he was about 12 lbs then. Now at almost 4 mos and 15 lbs hes wearing smalls with the occasional medium (depending on maker). Now ds #2 was a big fat baby and nb were a waste on him. I say have some on hand, but also have smalls and meds. ds #2 went to meds at 6 weeks.

Michelle

·
Registered
951 Posts
ds was 8lbs 14 oz when born, 8lbs when we left the hospital. I was expecting a big baby and didn't buy any newborn. I had to run out and buy some after he was born. He didn't fit into the small prowraps until he was 10lbs.

Angie

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I used them for a few months. Both of my girls were 6 lbs so we definately needed nb covers.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I bought newborn covers for ds but could only fit a doubler in there with him and i could only even do that for a week or two. so i hardly ever used those and mostly skipped right to small covers. DS was 9 lbs 2 oz and chubby

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I used them for a few weeks. DS was born 8 lbs 3 oz. If you can get them cheap off the Trading Post, I think its worth it. Its nice to have dipes that fit around the umbilical cord. You can always re-sell them.

Ds is only 4 weeks and I'm selling mine, but I am still glad I had them. Its worth the few bucks to not stress about diapers in the beginning.

I started out tri-folding an infant cpf into the covers but found that extremely bulky. Then I started snappi-ing them and I love, love, love the fit! : )

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.