Mothering Forum banner

What doctor set should I get?

• Buy a Haba set alone (german made, not much stuff)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Buy Haba plus a Learning Resources stethoscope (mostly german made, not much stuff)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Learning Resources (China Made)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • American Plastic (US made of likely PVC/cheap)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fisher Price and remove the blood pressure cuff

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Keep what you have

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other or skip it all

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will probably seem silly but I'm just stressing out over it. I've been very careful about lead and PVC in toys. Mostly because I've got a kiddo with chronic low iron which is a lead risk...and his lead level even with careful watching is a 1 or 2 even though his twin is a less than 1. So there are some toys my boys would likely enjoy that we don't have because there aren't good alternatives.<br><br>
My sister bought them a kids connection (wal-mart brand) doctor set and tool set for Christmas not knowing about plastic stuff. They especially love the doctor set. And I cringe watching them play with it.<br><br>
So I feel I need an alternative to both but am focusing on the doctor set first.<br><br>
My (yes, this is trivial) thoughts:<br><br>
Haba stuff is safe but expensive and other than the syringe and thermometer doesn't have anything I couldn't make myself here. No stethoscope which they especially like. But I could do that and they just wouldn't have much.<br><br>
Then there is a learning resources set that has good amazon rankings. Made in China plastic. No recalls from that company. There is a statement on their site that they care about safety and test toys. But it is made in china plastic and I can't find any independent testing on any of their stuff.<br><br>
There is a learning resources stethoscope that only has plastic tubing it looks like. I could use the haba set and add the stethescope. They still wouldn't have much but some stuff anyway (syringe, thermometer and stethoscope mainly).<br><br>
American Plastics has a cheap american made plastic set. Based on a president issued statement all their products are USA made and the few plastic and compenents not made in house is almost exclusively from US companies. Most of their components are not near east made and the ones that are are internal. What's that mean? I have no idea. My thinking is that this company isn't on the radar of anyone since it is not well known. It's cheap which makes me wonder about lead in what I assume is PVC..but US made.<br><br>
Then I thought about getting the fisher price one if I can find it and just taking out the blood pressure cuff since it is the only thing that, when independly tested, had any lead or heavy metals in it. And they are under a lot of scrutiny right now too.<br><br>
What do I do (I really do want input or thoughts).

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I can't attest to lead and PVC content, but the Learning Resources set is nice and strudy. We had it at the daycare.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts