Mothering Forum banner

What are you having?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Rachel, Hilary,

This is our first, but we do not want to know and will only have an U/S if it's needed for some big reason.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Too few surprises in the world, why ruin this one for myself?

I will say:
#1-Didn't find out
#2-Did find out
#3- Don't plan to find out.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I found out with my first, only because that's what ya do, ya know?
Plus my dh was SURE dd was a boy, and I was sure she was a girl. Didn't want him to be upset at the birth, I wanted him to have time to adjust to the idea. (He was pretty upset when the ultrasound tech said "girl!") With Nova, I had decided no routine ultrasounds, and then later did my own prenatal care, so we were surprised when she was born. I really thought she'd be my little boy, but it was the thrill of my life to look between her legs immediately after birth and she a VULVA! I loved it, and that's probably my fondest memory of that birth. So this time, again, we will wait until the birth to find out. Such fun.

A good friend of mine is due about a month after me, and she's going to know "for sure" next month. She's going to get an amnio!!!
I can't even imagine. I was too shocked to inquire, and I guess it's none of my business anyway.

·
Registered
485 Posts
We're also having a surprise!
I agree with the PP who said there's too few real surprises in life. We did not find out last time either, and really really loved the moment of finding out at the birth. But I will admit to looking pretty hard during the ultrasound - although our us tech knew we did not want to know and avoided the genital area pretty well!

·
Registered
685 Posts
We are going to be surprised too...on the day that we have the u/s. It's still a surprise! Whether you find out at the u/s or when the baby is born...it's still a wonderful, amazing surprise! My sister waited to find out with both of hers...and I think that it was a great experience for her. But I can tell you that it was a great experience for me too!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Still deciding.....

We have found out both times before and it was still an absoult THRILL! I found *for me* being able to name my baby and know the geder made the pgcy more real and I felt that I was able to bond more during the actual pgcy. I was considering not finding out this time - but have been having some depression and anxiety issues surrounding this pgcy, so I think I will find out now.....

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
-- it's a boy!!
I'm so excited! I had to have an ultrasound anyhow, so we decided to find out just to be practical...plus we're like kids at Christmas -- we wanted to know NOW! :LOL

I'm pretty excited, as this is what I would have chose & I've been kinda having "boy" feelings, but I'm in a sort of mourning for the girl baby I won't be having now, kwim? Am I just being wierd? Ah well...at least I will get through that sadness before ds2 is born!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we were shocked, but it's a girl! We were sure it was a boy, still recovering from the shock but very excited to start picking out ruffly pink things!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
We decided against a routine u/s, but I keep having dreams about a baby boy. We walked into a flower shop the other dayand the florist took one look at me and said "You're carrying a boy." (Most people don't even realize I'm pregnant yet!) But who really knows? I do wish I knew for sure which to mourn NOT having, especially since we think we're only going to have one.

·
Registered
361 Posts
We're having a boy. I wasn't going to find out, but I knew for sure in my heart that it was a boy, so it was nice to have it confirmed. This way I won't be second guessing my intuition the rest of the pregnancy.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We're not going to find out. The main reason we really wanted to know in the beginning was in order to paint the nursery. We went ahead and did it in unisex colors last week, and I still havn't had an ultrasound and don't have an appointment for one (I'm 21 weeks currently). I'm excited to be surprised when the moment comes.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have done both, find out and be surprised. When I had my "medicalised" pregnancies where I followed the herd and was a good little patient, I had routine ultrasounds, and found out the gender. Sure it was fun "getting a peek" and finding out the gender, and having a name and everything. But still, it was a whole different ballgame having the u/S tech announce the sex of our baby to us. It's kind of weird having a complete stranger know the sex of your baby before you do, and announce it to you like some grand official pronouncement. I didn't care at all at the time, but now my preferences have changed.

With #4 we had no medical reason to do an U/S, my pregnancy went perfectly just like before, and I looked forward to finding out with my own eyes whether I had a boy or girl. I had a VERY vivid dream that as my skin stretched out so thin towards the end that I could see through my skin and see DS (and it was definitely a DS!). The dream was SO real I was blown away. If he had turned out to be a DD I would have been shocked I think.

Anyways, that moment when I first held him in my arms all fresh and new, and realized I didn't know if I was holding a son or a daughter, then looked down and--- BOY! It was the most amazing thrill. I had told my MW I didn't want anyone yelling out the sex as soon as the baby cleared my perineum the way the nurses do in the hospital. She said she would be too busy assessing color, breathing, etc. to even notice that. It was really great waiting, and even if I did need an U/S for any reason I would choose not to find out this time as well.

Kathryn

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.