Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15822320/

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY - In her battle to legalize polygamy, the only thing Valerie hasn't revealed is her last name. The mother of eight has been on national TV; her photo along with that of her two "sister-wives" has graced the front cover of a glossy magazine dedicated to "today's plural marriages."

She has been prodded about her sex life: "He rotates. It's easy -- just one, two, three." Quizzed about her decision to share a husband with two other women: "You really have a good frame of reference when you marry a man who already has two wives." Interrogated about what it's like to live in a house with 21 children: "Remodeling a kitchen, that's no small feat with three wives and a husband involved."

All the while, the petite brunette with a smile as bright as Utah's sky has insisted that she's just like you and me: "I'm a soccer mom. My kids are in music lessons. They go to public school. I'm not under anyone's control."
As long as everyone is a non-brainwashed adult I'm cool with it. For example, Hugh Heffner has three girlfriends--that's just hot. But then you read about the 14 year olds marrying 30 year olds from their church and I have trouble believing they aren't brainwashed you know?

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Hugh Heffner only has 3 girlfriends?

ITA with lifting the ban on polygamy- or any "nontraditional marriage" for that matter. As long as all participants are human, adults, and consenting, it's all good.

(Not that I have anything against animals having sex with each other, I just don't think humans should have sex with non-humans animals, and non-human sex isn't regulated by law.)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Hugh Heffner only has 3 girlfriends?

Last I heard he has three actual girlfriends. He also sleeps with other people (and I think they do as well). But it's three live-in girlfriends. This has a little information about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girls_Next_Door. I've also heard them on the radio (they are semi-regular guests on the Adam Carolla show).

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
ITA. it's ridiculous it isn't legal.
i can understand the stigma, though. it has been abused. forcing anyone into marriage, especially children, is disgusting. but that's not what all plural marriages are about.

did anyone else see Anderson Coopers special on Jeffs where he showed a 'normal' plural family?

·
Banned
5,619 Posts
Ok- can someone please explain how you can be arrested for polygamy when legally one can't marry more than one person anyway. And how is that different then than hugh with three live-in girlfriends? He is supporting them, right? They all know of each other, right?

And yes, marrying underage girls who have no business nor want any business of being married another subject all together.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post
Ok- can someone please explain how you can be arrested for polygamy when legally one can't marry more than one person anyway. And how is that different then than hugh with three live-in girlfriends? He is supporting them, right? They all know of each other, right?
I seem to recall seeing a few of these cases over the last few years. Someone gets married in one state and then gets married in another state. Marriage is a state-by-state thing and they don't check each other's records.

There's also something about applying for state-run help (like foodstamps). I don't recall how that scam works though.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I think it is all brainwashing, I live in a town that has a big polygamous colony and I really don't believe that 14 year olds really consented to a marriage and getting preg. My DS has a polygamist family girl in his K-class, she is special needs and does not dress like them and has short hair, unlike the rest of the girls, IMO they put her in public school (they have their own school on the colony) because she is special needs, there are no other B________re children in any of the schools. Is that their way of not having to deal with her special needs, because she is a shame to her family? Sad

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post

And yes, marrying underage girls who have no business nor want any business of being married another subject all together.
It is different in Utah than in other states. In most states, you can just live with more than one person and be "unofficially" or spiritually married, and as long as you don't try to legally marry more than one spouse, you're okay. But in Utah, it is actually illegal to cohabitate or be in "marriage-like relationship" with more than one person.

However I am pretty sure this is unconstitutional as per Lawrence v. Texas.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPentor View Post
There's also something about applying for state-run help (like foodstamps). I don't recall how that scam works though.

The fraud occurs when plural wives claim they don't know the whereabouts of their children's father.

link

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
The fraud occurs when plural wives claim they don't know the whereabouts of their children's father.

link
This happens a lot in non-polygamous, just regular-old-sleeping-around communities, too.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Excellent!

Esp w/this in mind:

Quote:
"The things I am going after are crimes against children, rape and other types of abuse where there is a clear victim," he said.
And I'm glad that some of the Polygamists, themselves, are supportive:

Quote:
Some polygamists said they welcome Shurtleff's prosecutions.

"Jeffs needed to be stopped," said Bonnie, a 20-something in a polygamist marriage who, like Valerie, declined to give her last name. (She said she has lost three jobs because of her polygamous background.) "I am glad they are prosecuting him."

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
I think your poly partners should have rights and if you want to make a commitment to them awesome. I do think that divorce could get messy (how do you divide property up when one partner wants to leave?)

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds View Post
I think it is all brainwashing
What poly in general or 14 year olds wanting to be in plural marriage? First of all I do think 14 is way too young to be married anyway. Second of all someone growing up where poly is normalized probably would want to enter into a poly relationship although it definitely should be a getting married at 18 kind of thing. I am poly, but that doesn't mean that someone brainwashed me to want to be in additional relationships other than my marriage, I just don't believe monogamy is right for me.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I think as long as all involved are consenting adults - go for it - BUT I also think, from a legal stand pint there w=should be only one LEGAL partnership. What happens if one of them becomes injured and the next of kin needs to make a decision ( sometimes it would be hard for 2+ people to agree on something like that). Or soc. security benefits - do they all get the same amount or is the total amount divied up between the spouses? Medicare? Welfare? etc....

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
What poly in general or 14 year olds wanting to be in plural marriage? First of all I do think 14 is way too young to be married anyway. Second of all someone growing up where poly is normalized probably would want to enter into a poly relationship although it definitely should be a getting married at 18 kind of thing. I am poly, but that doesn't mean that someone brainwashed me to want to be in additional relationships other than my marriage, I just don't believe monogamy is right for me.
Do you live in a colony? do you dress like them? I mean girls from the colony.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds View Post
Do you live in a colony? do you dress like them? I mean girls from the colony.
No I don't live in a colony, I am a married woman that likes to date other people. That is what I mean by that. I would love to live in a colony but DH isn't down with that.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.