Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had it? What was your outcome?<br><br>
I was told yesterday that I have this, and it might be caused by gestational diabetes. I was also told that it puts me at risk for preterm delivery. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this condition.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
Had a somewhat mild case with DS and again this time. Everything turned out fine with ds, born at 41w. This time I was instructed to take cornsilk capsules. It helped. I just tend to have a lot of fluid. I tested neg for GD with ds but wasn't tested this time.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Subbing. I also just found out that I have polyhydramnios and would like to hear about other people's experiences with it.<br><br>
So far, my mw has just asked me to cut down on refined carbs, as though I were GD, though I never was screened for that, and doubt that is the cause. I am also having a BPP next week (at 36 weeks). But I would like to know what else I can *do* to help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was dx with polyhydramnios with my last pregnancy, and because of that and baby's size, they screened me for GD three times! I am an overweight person to begin with, and it's like they wanted something to be wrong. But anyway!<br><br>
My GD screens came back perfect every time. DD was born at 38.5 weeks (2 inductions --> c-section) at 10 lbs 4 oz. One of my current providers told me that the excess fluid was likely just because the baby was so big. Bigger baby = more waste products. Makes sense, right?<br><br>
I had a fluid index done biweekly, and it never really got higher - stayed on the same curve. It can be a sign or symptom of GD, but it can be just the way things are!

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
It can be a sign of other things other than GD or a sign of nothing at all. I'm really surprised that is the only thing they have mentioned is GD. Are you dx'ed by palpation or by u/s. U/s are notoriously wrong in their estimates.

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was diagnosed by ultrasound. He said the fluid level was "borderline excessive," whatever that means. I am eager to see what my regular OB doctor says about it, since he tends to minimize things and the high-risk guy tends to go crazy about tiny things.

·
Registered
544 Posts
i had it. They discovered it at 20 weeks, and asked me to come back for more ultrasounds. There were no fetal defects, and I tested negative for GD, but I did have Pregnancy Induced Hypertension. I was induced at 37 weeks, because of the PIH and had a C-section, but my son was perfectly healthy and 8 lbs, 6 oz.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had polyhydramnios with my son. I was real worried about my son's well-being, because polyhydramnios can be caused by digestive problems in the baby, but turns out, my polyhydramnios was idiopathic (no known cause), and my son was just fine. My dr. said that polyhydramnios responds favorably to low-carb diets, and so you might try reducing your carb intake a bit.<br><br>
It's been a long time since I did any research on the topic (DS is almost 4, now), but at the time, I read that polyhydramnios can cause prolapsed cord and placenal abruption sometimes when your water breaks, but I don't remember the stats on that, any more. What I do know is that the polyhydramnios, combined with my skyrocketing blood pressure, caused me to be induced at 38 weeks, rather than allowing labor to start on its own, and the induction ended in a c-section, for various reasons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts