Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is early for me
But I am looking at the fishy pool or LaBassine. I keep hearing how the fishy pool is just a great choice, but now i am reading in other areas that the fishy pool takes sooooo long to fill, and that the LaBassine covers MUCH more of your belly. Neither of those facts make ANY sense to me, because it looks like the measurements are pretty much the exact same...right? what do you think?
http://inhishands.com/html/WaterBirth.html

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I've used both. The fishie pool capacity is around 175 gallons, whereas the La Bassine is right at 100 gallons. It's the oval shape of the La Bassine that makes a difference.

For us, the fishie pool didn't even get full w/ ds but I was able to get in the (full) La Bassine a good 45 minutes before dd2 was born. (Ds was 5 hours of active labor, dd2 was 3 hours of active labor). The La Bassine covered my belly, the fishy pool didn't - maybe it would have if it had gotten full?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I keep hearing, but maybe people are talking about the hexagon shaped one? This one says that the capacity is 106 gallons...right??

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i have read that thread. And i figured I would for sure go with the kiddie pool, but now after talking to some ladies on another board, I am not so sure...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just finished reading the blog linked towards the end of the thread and it gave some great advice. I already purchased the sevylor kiddie pool, and I think for my needs it's going to work out pretty good. This is a hard one because everyone is going to have their thoughts on what is best, and until you do it yourself it's hard to really know what will work best for you YKWIM?

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you like to lean on/over the side while laboring I think the La Bassine would be a better choice. If you notice the stacked rings of the kiddie pool are horizontal and don't look like they would support body weight being leaned up against it as well as the vertical chambers of the LB.

I used the LB and was pleasently suprised by the oval design and handles, which I did not know it had before I bought it. You really don't even need to fill it all the way either, unless you like to have water up to your chest. It felt a little too deep to me filled all the way so I had my husband drain it a bit.

·
Registered
468 Posts
From all the feedback I've got on the (smaller round) fishy pool/round Sevylor vs La Bassine, here are the main pros and cons:

Fishy pool & Sevylor are round, so you can't stretch out as far. La Bassine is oval, so it has more room to stretch out.

LB is a few inches deeper than the round pools. Some women have adamantly insisted that those few extra inches make the crucial difference. I think part of that depends on how tall you are and how deep you like your water.

LB and Sevylor have I-beams, which seem to make the sides sturdier than the stacked rings. While many women have found they can put their weight on the fishy pool sides, some found it to be a bit unsturdy.

All types have inflatable floors, which is great!

LB has handles, which a lot of people like for helping change positions or anchor them into a squat.

The biggest drawback for LB is the cost, especially if you compare it to the Sevylor. I am going to go with LB because I want more depth and enough length to stretch out in. I worry that I just wouldn't be able to do that well enough in one of the smaller round pools (I'm 5'8").

I've seen used LBs for sale here & there, so if you keep your eyes open you might be able to find a better price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rixafreeze View Post
I've seen used LBs for sale here & there, so if you keep your eyes open you might be able to find a better price.
I just got an LB on e-bay for $31 ($70 w/shipping) and it came with the sink valve, drinking quality hose, a huge tarp for the floor, and a new liner!
:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oooh, that is a good price! I never even thought of ebay.... Well i am 5-9ish, so i think the La Bassine will be a good choice then
Thanks ladies
I guess I just needed some encouragement that it was worth the extra money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.