Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the potty talk driving anyone else crazy??
:

My soon to be 6 year old can't finish a sentence without some kind of potty talk! I have tried

-the serious approach: "Farty town? Hmmm, I have never heard if it. Is it in Massachusetts? Should we look on a map??"
-the silly approach: "Poopy head! I have poop on my HEAD?!? Ewww, where is it?? Did it roll behind the couch?"
-the no nonsense approach- "Bathroom words are for the bathroom. If you want to continue to say butt, please do so in the bathroom".

I even tried to ignore for over 2 ½ weeks to no avail!

Honestly, potty talk really doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me is the constant use of it. Frankly all words become annoying when used all the time!! Also this kind of talk is spilling out to the playground, the grocery store, school so while I don't really find it offensive I know that others do.

So when will this phase end????
:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Why does farty town have to be in Massachusetts? Are you trying to say we stink? IIRC you were the one with poopy on your head.
: As you can see I just try to go with the flow of my poop obsessed ds. At least for a bit and it has seemed to contain it to in the house. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
yes... the potty talk---ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh the potty talk. We've given up trying to stop it all together and just given him "potty talk guidelines", if you will!

no potty talk at school (although yesterday they went around in a circle and asked each child what they want to give their daddy's for father's day and my ds says "a diaper with poop in it..." then starts laughing hysterically, slaps his thigh and hoots?!!)

no potty talk w/ grandparents

no potty talk while shopping!

so, really... we just let him silly-guy potty-talk-it-up at home to get it out of his system.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
no potty talk at school (although yesterday they went around in a circle and asked each child what they want to give their daddy's for father's day and my ds says "a diaper with poop in it..." then starts laughing hysterically, slaps his thigh and hoots?!!)
OMG!! that is so something my son would say and do!!

Quote:
Why does farty town have to be in Massachusetts? Are you trying to say we stink? IIRC you were the one with poopy on your head.
Because I happen to live in Mass!!
(and in fact we are kind stinky!
)

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I don't mind it at all. We've even made up songs with fart and poop in the lyrics. I guess maybe because I grew up with 2 big brothers?

I draw the line at this: DS like to sit on my head in bed and says "I'm gonne fart on you, just like daddy!"

No, daddy does not sit on my head for the record. But he like to come close to me and fart and I always yell "don't fart on me!" and now DS has taken it to a literal level. And he thinks it's soooooooooooo funny

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
oh dear goddess, i am so glad i am not the only one whose kids do this.
:

i have yet to figure out what is SO hilarious about bodily gas. And why they roll on the floor laughing when my 2 year old runs naked.

Oy.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
I draw the line at this: DS like to sit on my head in bed and says "I'm gonne fart on you, just like daddy!"

No, daddy does not sit on my head for the record. But he like to come close to me and fart and I always yell "don't fart on me!" and now DS has taken it to a literal level. And he thinks it's soooooooooooo funny

The daddy in our house DOES sit on us and fart, and my daughter thinks it's hysterical too. She sticks her butt right up near us and makes farting sound effects and all.

The potty talk and gross stuff doesn't really phase me. It was like this before we had kids, too, so things haven't really changed that much. We have pretty immature senses of humor.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessy1019 View Post
The daddy in our house DOES sit on us and fart, and my daughter thinks it's hysterical too. She sticks her butt right up near us and makes farting sound effects and all.

The potty talk and gross stuff doesn't really phase me. It was like this before we had kids, too, so things haven't really changed that much. We have pretty immature senses of humor.
Sounds like our house. I've just made my peace with it. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
You've never lived 'till you've accidentaly
called your 4 year-old a poopoo butt in public and seen the reactions.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
"I tooted!" snicker....
If I had a $1 for everytime my ds said this, I could quit my job!

I am getting better about ignoring it. But for a while it was driving me nuts. Every burp and fart whatever was reported in grand detail.

And honestly, sometimes it IS funny (coming from a lady who used to burp complete sentences and songs and lite her farts with a lighter in college!
The apple does not fall far from the tree, eh?)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Living with 3 boys - DH, DS age 5 & DS almost 2. Its all about potty talk. The rules are no potty talk in public and always say excuse me if you fart. Other then that its a free for all. And the best farts of all come from the horses. Ever see a horse run, buck and fart at the same time? Well its the highlight of a 5 yr olds day

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Oh man, my 6 year old ds has taken potty talk to an all new level. We have...

potty art "Look mom the sun is peeing"

potty sister torture "ha, ha, I'm going to poop on you."

potty jokes "why did the poop cross the road?"

: It has to end someday, right?

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
We actually use it around here to get my soon-to-be stepdaughter out of a funk.

STBSD: I want a banana. There aren't any bananas! I want a banana! (Turns around and crosses arms over her chest)

Dad: That's because they all flew up your butt! How about a nectarine instead?

STBSD: They flew up your butt! (Laughs). Okay. Can I have a nectarine, please?

·
Registered
160 Posts
potty talk was the worst when dd was about 3 i think. i decided to just go for it and get it out of her system, we bought 'everybody poops' and 'the gas we pass' i think i could recite them by heart by now, but at four and half the potty talk has diminished, but she thinks it's hilarious to fart on us. luckily she's too shy to do it to anyone else!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Ha! I'm right there with you! My 4 year old likes to say "poop night" instead of "good night" to his Dad before bed. Ugh.

I don't know when potty jokes get old, but I'm ready for it to happen anytime now! I just hope my son grows out of it ... unlike some men I know!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ahhh the word "poopy" holds some elavated status in the mind of my 4 yr old DS. It's making me crazy because he does do it in public (along with touching my butt, another thing he's not allowed to do). He will not stop. Doesn't matter if I remind him that it's unacceptable or remove him from the area, he still does it. He says it repeatively. I've told him over and over that potty words are for the bathroom and it doesn't stick. This has been going on for about 1-2 years!!! Seriously, it's at the point I'm so frustrated with it!! I guess I should be glad I'm not the only one, but when we are out in public (resturant,etc) I am the only one with a kid doing it, LOL!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.