Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not totally sure this is a breast feeding issue, but I'm not sure where else to put it. Feel free to move it, moderators, if you find a better place for it.

A bit over 2 weeks ago, DH had a few days when his stomach felt a bit off and then had one day of diarrhea. The next morning, 2.5 month old DD woke us up early to go poop (EC baby) and had a bit of green in her poop. By the end of the day, her poop was totally green and watery. It stayed green and watery for about a week. She also had an increase in BM's day and night. She had been sleeping dry before, but for that week, she was getting up 2-4 times a night to poop. She had been down to about 4-5 BM's in a 24 hour period, but for that week, she was up to 8-10.

We assumed that she caught the same bug my husband had. There was something that was going around his work that was about 2 weeks of puking and diarrhea, often resulting in dehydration. Neither DD nor DH ever got a fever or dehydrated, but DH tends to get less bad versions of whatever is going around, and EBFing might have protected DD from getting it too bad. She BFed a lot, presumably to make up for lost fluids. I never got sick at all.

So, over the past week, the number of BM's per day has mostly normalized (5-6/day), she's usually making it through the night (or at least most of it) without pooping, and her poops are not always green and runny. Some are brown/yellow, some are green and watery, some are green and much more solid than you would think an EBF baby would have. Sometimes, they smell a little off, still not as bad as a formula baby's poop might smell, but just different. She still has a bit of a rash right around her anus (the only place poop touches an EC baby).

The most puzzling part is that her first poop of the day is always pretty normal (including middle of the night poops), and then they get more and more green throughout the day. I haven't really changed anything since this all started (besides her own choice to nurse more when she was having so many poops, but that has subsided some).

I'm still eating the same pretty consistent diet I've been eating since she was born. I think she does a pretty good job of emptying my breast every time she eats. I usually only give her one side, and if she only eats a bit, I'll give her the same side next time. She seems to nurse at pretty regular intervals day and night, every 1-4 hours with a few outliers. There's not a big difference in time between feedings during the day vs. night. Sometimes she eats more during the day and less at night. Sometimes, it's the other way around. That doesn't seem to have much effect on the daily yellow to green pattern.

During the day, I'll usually do at least one or two feeds that last most of an hour during a nap, and the rest of the feeds are quicker, but tend to leave my breast nice and mushy afterwards. During the night, sometimes she eats quickly and lets go, sometimes she eats and then we sleep latched together for an hour. I just don't see a big difference between how I feed her. Most of her feeds are in the side lying position during the day, and all are at night.

From what I know, green poop can be a bug, allergies or a foremilk/hindmilk nursing problem. I've been operating under the assumption that it's a bug, but I'm wondering how long I should wait before I consider something else. With this daily cyclic better to worse that has developed, is it more likely related to the daily cycle of what I eat or of how she eats?

If so, when should I look for the problem? How long does it take for what she eats to go through her? How long does it take my food to make it into my breast milk? Is her poop being yellow at night and in the morning a reflection of doing the right thing at night or the day before? Is the green later in the day a reflection of allergens building up in my milk throughout the day or not getting enough hindmilk during the night finally catching up to her?

I'm thinking of calling the pediatrician Monday if things don't get significantly better before then. I was willing to wait 2 weeks since there was a 2 week bug going around DH's office and she seemed to be taking it well, but Monday will be 2 weeks and 4 days. If I do call, what is the pediatrician likely to suggest?

·
Registered
94 Posts
i''d collect a sample to have analyzed in concerned and I'd also not worry too much, there is poop after all. Poop patterns change. I'd block feed in the mean time though

1 - 2 of 2 Posts