Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am brand new to cloth diapering. We literally just started and finally settled on the one size pocket diapers since my son is 20 months and I have a baby due in December. I thought I would get more use out of the one size diapers. My son had a major poop just as I was starting the wash last night, so I dunked it in the toilet, got out all the chunks and put it in the wash. I was disapointed this morning when my brand new white wonderoo diaper had a poop stain.

I might be over analyzing our washing cycle, so perhaps it needs some fine tuning. We do a cold water pre soak with some baking soda followed by a warm water wash with a second warm water rinse. We've always done a second rinse on all my son's clothes because of his eczema issues, so I'm not ready to eliminate that. I'm using tide and only 1/4 of the manufacturers suggested amount of soap. I guess I should expect some staining, but I didn't want to see it on the first use of this particular diaper. I live in Seattle, so I could put it outside for some sun bleaching, but that's not really an option when it gets dark and rainy.

Any suggestions on how to avoid stains? Thanks in advance!

-Melany

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

Does this mean I'll just have to get used to the poop stains?

-Melany

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I posted a very similiar post when I first started using cloth. No matter what I did to my wash routine, my diapers (of all kinds) would be stained by my daugthers bf poo. I sun them when I can, which works GREAT but I usually do laundray at night and need them in a.m. I've learned to live with it. It was hard, though. Also, I just ordered a mini-shower and am hoping that will help a bit. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Defintely the sun is your best bet! Also, just an FYI on this: as a cloth diapering mom in Seattle, I definitely know - it doesn't have to be sunny out to sun diapers. I hang mine out when it's cloudy and the stains still go away.

ETA: I didn't notice at first you were in Seattle, too.
Try it on a cloudy day - it still works!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Seconding that. We had a cold day yesterday and the diapers were out to dry for 2 hours and came in still soaked(I had to pull them in befor the rain started) but were stain-free. It was overcast all day long with no visible sun but they still were sunned out. On rainy WEEKS I hang the stuff on a drying rack in front of the door or in the windows and they still sun out while inside. Stains bother me, I like stain-free diapers!

Meg

·
Registered
63 Posts
No! I think we can help you get them out :) Here are a few suggestions that jump out at me when I read your first post. First, no dunking in the toilet is necessary. You do not want you diapers to be completely saturated and sitting like that for any period of time. Whatever you can shake into the toilet is usually enough.

Secondly, change that presoak cold cycle to a rinse. Just do a cold rinse first, no soaking - then your hot wash with detergent and a cold rinse.

It's been my experience that after diaper stains have set that they will come out over time with washing. Any time you can dry in the sun, the better - although I can understand your prediciment. I'm in NY right and it's not exactly tropical this time of year ;-)

Also, although I have never personally tried either of these, both of my partners have used Oxy Clean and Dreft Stain Remover Spray on their diapers to get out stains. They swear by them and they're safe for your diapers.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'll try some different things to see if it helps.

-Melany

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Spraying the poopy diapers off with a Minishower makes all the difference. I don't mess with using mine with a totally breastfed baby, but once they start solids the Minishower gets tons of use. It also keeps the pail odor down.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All the pocket diapers I washed last night are hanging on a dryer rack today in a south facing window. I noticed with his big poop last night where I just dumped the solids in the toilet and skipped the swish did not stain like the last one that I had immediately put into the wash after dunking it.

We talked about getting a mini shower, but my husband is worried our 20 month old will find it and use it, with good reason. So, we might just see how it works with what we are doing. I wish the tub was closer to the toilet as I could then get an attachment for that faucet.

We're still in the learning phase and buying phase. Since I picked pocket diapers, I do need to pick up some more. After his poop last night I had to put him in a disposable because I had nothing clean. I had some of the new ones clean, but they leaked when I used them. But, hopefully this will be the last disposable package. That and all the prefolds I bought needed to be rewashed because they are not absorbant at all. I had only washed them 2 times and they leaked with every wearing. A friend suggested 5-6 washings before use after I had already tried them. So, they were all in the wash. Oops. Bad planning on our part. I should get 2 more washings in on our new prefolds and we will try those again. I picked up 5 pro-wraps off of freecycle that are pretty worn out, but should do the job.

-melany

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.