Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think this is a discipline issue, and I'm not even sure if it's toddler behavior or a health issue at this point. So I guess I want to know how to handle it, how to keep my sanity, and whether anyone else has BTDT b/c things are a little weird right now.<br><br>
DS is 2, and PLing. He's completely out of diapers except for naps and nighttime. He started pooping in the potty reliably just last week. He's doing great and hasn't had any accidents. Here's the thing: Before last week, we were away and his diet was a bit off (practically no veggies or whole grains like he has at home). He was pooping once a day as usual, but it was kind of uncomfortable for him. (Great for us, as it just rolled right out of the diaper!) Once we got home, he was back on his normal healthy diet. I think the fiber increase got to him b/c he's been pooping several (like 5-8) times a day, and it's not nice and neat, IYKWIM. Much smaller quantities each time, so probably the same total amount of poop as he was doing once a day.<br><br>
He doesn't complain that his tummy hurts.<br><br>
I'm not sure if the frequency has to do with the novelty of pooping on the potty, or with the change in diet, or both. It's a little time-consuming, but I'm okay with it for now. I am a little concerned that it is SO frequent though, and the other issue is that even though he poops before I put his diaper on for nap/bed, by the time we get through the rest of the routine and he's winding down, he needs to poop again. So just as he's lying down to sleep (or even 5-10 minutes after I've left him), he's calling out to poop in the potty. It's very disruptive and now it's taking upwards of an hour to get him down. At the end of the day, I don't have it in me to take an hour for bedtime!<br><br>
Any suggestions on how to break this cycle?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My daughter went through a short stage where she pooped at nap time and bed time every day. It was rough, especially at bedtime when I was so tired, but thankfully it stopped happening after two or three weeks. I don't have any suggestions, but a lot of sympathy!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
It sounds like he may not know how to eliminate all the poop at once yet. Some comes out, it feels funny so he doesn't let the rest out. I think it is a process and it just depends on the kid how it works out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Does he sit on the potty for a fairly long time each time? For a while, my DD got very interested in looking down at the poop coming out and dropping into the potty and would hop up instantly after the first part came out. I sit with her and read to her while on the potty and that helps to keep her there until she's really done. She also regularly uses a seat on the big toilet, and she never had the same issue there, I guess the drop down into the toilet wasn't as weird a feeling for her.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's pretty common in kids for the urge to strike them a few minutes after they've laid down for a nap or sleep, since the whole body sort of relaxes at that time, including the bowel. I would think that this is intensified by your son's loose bowel situation. I'm sure he'll adjust to it in time. Or else it'll just become part of the routine, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts