Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a first time mom. My babe is 4 weeks, 3 days old. I had some BF issues at first because I had no idea what to expect or what was normal. My milk didn't come in until day 8/9 and I was really worried baby wasn't getting enough. He's been gaining about an ounce a day (or around 6 ounces a week) which according to the resources I've read is average (even though his gain seems to pale in comparison to my brother's babe and other babes in my DDC.) I've relaxed about it for the most part because he has been peeing and pooping ok - even though there are still times when I worry about supply issues and if he is getting enough.<br><br>
I'm worrying a bit again, however, because it seems like his pooping frequency is slowing down. Early on, he had lots of poops and now I think he has only had one today (and it was like 15-16 hours ago.) I think I read somewhere that poop frequency can slow down at some point as the colostrum, which has a laxative effect completely leaves your milk. When does the pooping slow-down happen?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Pooping in most breastfed babies slows around month 2 I believe. But, some BF babies poop less at around a month. If your babe is gaining weight and the poop is still orangy/yellowy like a typical BF baby's poop should appear (and is not green or dark colored), it sounds like it's fine!

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
As long as the babe is wetting & gaining well I wouldn't worry. BF babies can go a looooong time between poops!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I thought your post was particularly interesting - I have a 4 week 5 day old babe and I (just today) have experienced the same thing.<br><br>
Normally he poops lots all day long... but today he hasn't pooped yet. He hasn't gone since last night sometime between 9:30 and midnight (he was asleep during that time and had a dirty diaper when he woke up). So you're not the only one...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Usually poops slow between 4-8 weeks. As long as he is wetting and pooping on occasion (at least every 7-10 days), not showing signs of discomfort, I wouldn't worry too much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts