Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm trying hard, really hard, to support this new school to which two of my sons attend. This is the first year it's been open, so everything is new. Today is the end of the second week, and my middle son is going to be saying goodbye to his teacher. We received a letter yesturday saying the board over estimated how many children would be attending and so hired too many teachers, and as ds's teacher had the least experience she is the one who has to go. OK, so there are less children attending than they thought, so how come they under ordered meals for lunch? My ds's and I sit and discuss whats on the menu, and if they will eat anything or not. We then decide which days they will get lunch and which days they will have sandwiches based on this. Three times this week they hacve had totally different meals to what they were expecting, so havent eatten, even though I am still paying $2 for a meal.<br><br><br>
I was already sceptical about this school district, but now I'm really pissed.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Well, public schools get money just like private schools get money.... The thinking is, with private we choose our children's peers, but when they are enrolled in public high school they learn so much more...

·
Registered
799 Posts
I know about the hassle of teachers leaving in the beginning- I have been one of them. The numbers that our school is alloted staff initially comes from school numbers in the spring- which vary incredibly from the numbers that will show up in the fall. So I know that we figure that we will be losing a teacher since we know of families who are moving but during the summer so they counted in the spring but won't be there in the fall. My class list for this year already has at least 3 students who are most likely moving but had to be counted. It is not a disorganization thing but the way that they decide how many teachers are needed.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
The teacher thing, really not their fault. I would be understanding on that, although of course it would be tough for the kids.<br>
The lunch thing I would be LIVID about, since we have allergies, and for example, if I had chosen to let dd buy her lunch on a given day because it was edible/acceptable for us, and it ended up being something ELSE, that could cause serious problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts