Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor, dear sister in law has a seven week old girl, and she STILL cries and cringes when the babe latches on to the left side.

She has a decent tear in her nipple that just won't heal. She's given up on treating it because it just wouldn't go away. She did tons of Lansinoh, Neosporin ointment, constant airing out... the babe has a great latch, lips flanged, tongue over bottom gum, lots of areola is taken in... we're at a total loss here.

Any suggestions? Tips? Techniques?

TIA!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Can she give that side a break? What about thrush?

Maybe try sprinkling it with some good bacteria. I was having some pain last week and it really seemed to help. I'd break open one of my capsules and sprinkle. After the neosporin, she may need a bacteria boost.

Just a feeling, I'm not a professional, please use discretion with my advice.

What about LLL? Has she talked to BF knowledgable medical types? If she has a ped like mine, he'd be no help at all.

If it were me, I'd wean from the left and let it heal. Seven months, trying to remember that far back, she may need to pump for comfort, unless pumping hurts more.

I'll add her left to my prayer list.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Here are some short term comfort measures:
--nurse on unaffected side until let down occurs, then switch to sore side, paying close attention to latch and position.
--she may want to talk to her doc about an analgesic that is compatible with b'feeding

To help healing:
--has she tried expressing her milk and applying it to the wound?
--she might want to read up Dr. Jack Newman's recommendations. He has developed an ointment for mothers that is a mix of antibiotic, antifungal, and anti inflamitory.
--some mothers find hydrogel or glycerin gel pads help speed healing.
--avoid breast pads with plastic liners and bras with synthetic fabrics. If dried mik causes a pad or bra to stick to the wound, loosen it with warm water before trying to remove it.
--she may want to visit her doctor and see if she has an infection that is needing additional treatment. Sometimes, oral antibiotics are what mothers need to get the healing process started.

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Oh, ouch, poor mama!! I kind of agree that perhaps she needs to give that side a break for a little while? Pumping or hand expressing for comfort if she's able. And, I'd even say she may want to have her mw or gyn look at it for a possible infection of some kind. I do know of women who nurse on one side without any problems at all, if she's worried about that. I hope she starts feeling better soon! Good for her for keeping it up, though, really!

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Is she still taking a prenatal vitamin or other good multi? Sometimes deficiency of certain nutrients (like zinc & C) can slow down wound healing. Definitely get a consult ffrom someone so she isn't repeating a latch problem too.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I had that w/ my first baby. I had a whitish or yellowish spot on my nipple that wouldn't heal. In hindsight I think I had a resistant staph infection. Does she have anything that resembles that? If not, /i second the thrush suspicion. Can she see an IBCLC? A bf friendly doc?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.