Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well there was no thread yet so I thought I'd start this one off. I haven't started the pdx thread before so this is very exciting!

I volunteer with a program called Nacer Sano (healthy birth) that pairs nursing students with lay latina health workers. We go and visit pregnant latina moms that may not have health insurance or have very limited access to health care. Here is a note from a fellow nursing student about a visit she went on yesterday:

"On the visit I went to today, there were two pregnant women (one 6th months along and the other 4). THey both have jsut moved here from Mexico and have no clothes, they don't even have furniture in their house. Out of the two families living in the one small apartment, only one person works. THese women really need clothes. If you were willing to give up any of your maternity clothing, I know they would appreciate it. Or if you know of anyone else. Also their girs ages 3, 5 and 7 also need clothes, just keep this in mind in case you know of anyone, thanks!"

I would be happy to come around to your houses tomorrow (thursday) and pick up any donations you might have. I am currently staying with my mom in Hillsboro so I can cover the gammit of locations. Just let me know on this thread and I will check back in throughout the day. I have no commitments tomorrow so hopefully I could stop by at a time that is convenient for you.

I appreciate any help you may have for these women no matter how big or small.

Take good care,

sandra

·
Registered
7,321 Posts

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
i will check my stuff and see what i have... i've already given away a lot of it, so not much left. i will also pass this info around to some of my local hillsboro mama friends and tell them to contact me asap.

thanks, shockels.

~claudia

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Yes, Sandra, absolutely - just pass my clothes on to Nacer Sano. I have a few more things that I will donate, too. Do they want/need baby stuff, too? Thanks for organizing it!

Happy November, mamas!

Sarah

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Hello everyone!

We have big news this month. I am having another baby in June!

So I will be quiting my job before then and can start coming to weekday play groups. I am very excited about that part!

I am also on the look out for a new daycare situation. I love Montessori of Alameda but it is so spendy and I want to save some money before I quit my job. I am going part-time soon. I am looking forward to spending more time with Ruby before the new baby comes and I am so exhausted, I cannot handle working full-time during this pregnancy. So if anyone knows of any in-home daycares or nanny shares in the inner North/NE area, I would love to hear about it. I am looking for M-F 8 am to 3:30 pm, starting in January. I could also change my hours around a bit, like later in the morning or whatever, if the right situation were found. But I do have to work everyday of the week.

Sorry I can't donate any clothes right now, I am starting to gather my old maternity clothes that I lent out, thinking I would not need them again for a long, long time....

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hello everyone old and new!

Just a quick update on us. This weekend is my big trip to Seattle to audition for Jeopardy! I am so excited and nervous. It has been a dream of my since I was a kid. Now the big issue is what the heck am I going to wear!?!!

Lily is cutting teeth for sure, runny nose, drool cough and all. It has been a rough few days and I expect many more until all her pearly whites are in.

Austin loves preschool and is learning so much so fast it amazes me.

Colton is thriving at home having his mama to himself for about an hour each day. I like the peace and quiet I get without having to break up brotherly squabbles.

I am also having a discovery toys gathering on the 8th of Nov. it is a Tues night around 6:30, babes in arms are welcome and I will have a light snack and drinks for everyone. Please PM if you can come!

Blessings!
N~

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome Mommy2Bethany!!!! I'm glad you found us!

Quick update on the donations of maternity and kids clothes. I spoke to my fellow student who asked for the donations and she won't being seeing these families for another week or so. This means I can collect clothes all next week too. I'm PMed some of you already to set up times to stop by. I appreciate all of your generosity. I love that we can come together to help these woman in our community.

And you go nichol!!!! I hope you kick ass on your audition!!

Sandra

·
Registered
436 Posts
Congrats KateMary!

Mommy2bethany!

Good luck Mamafae! How fun!

Shockels, sorry I lent my maternity clothes to my sisters in Cali and so far nothing bigger than 24 mos on DD. You're a great mamawoman.

We never got around to carving our pumpkins -- can they be used for pie/bread?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucenamama
We never got around to carving our pumpkins -- can they be used for pie/bread?
yes they can....wash them out and cut them to fit in your big pot...and steam them for 20 mins or so..check the flesh to see if it is soft..make sure the ones on the bottom don't burn to the pot..then peel the flesh off the peels..and wala..you have pumpkin..hehe

Welcome Mama2Bethany!! There are a few other Vancouver moms here too. Tweety2birds (?) is in Vancouver.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can't wait to make pumpkin pies. I know it is slightly OT, but lucenamama reminded me.

I bought a 30lb hubbard squash to make savory pumpking dishes with this year. Hubbard squashes have the best flavor, to me. It's sitting out on the porch with all the uncarved pumpkins at my house.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
when we went to lees farm this year mr lee said the short squat hot pinky colored pumpkins were the best for eating. the big jackolantern ones can be stringy. not that you couldn't cook with it....i say go for it

shockels i have a gigantic bag of avent bottles that a friend with twins gave me. it is more than i could possibly ever use (plus isaac never took to bottles) and it is just sitting in my basement. i don't know if they would need bottles or not. all my maternity clothes are out on loan

congrats katemary
i'm starting to feel clucky now that so many people i know with first dc's around our dc's age are going for number 2.
must.resist. also we interviewed a nannyshare at the beginning of september but decided to stick with our daycare because the nanny was too spendy. but if you're using reduced hours it might be cheaper. i am not sure if the family is still looking but they wanted the share at their house and they live ~SE 58th & Alder (not exactly inner NE). if you're interested PM me and i'll give you their contact info. they were all really nice (family & the nanny)

good luck at jeopardy mamafae! that is awesome

hi mommy2bethany

i'm super excited about these storms bringing snow to the mountains

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.