Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds1 came down with chickenpox about 2 weeks ago. He is fine now and back to school. We are still waiting for dd1 to get it and assuming it might be any day now (if she does get it that's why I said "possible"). My grandparents are supposed to be coming for an overnight visit next Tuesday-Wednesday. I know my grandfather came down with shingles a couple of years ago and had a long recovery period. Is it possible for him to get shingles again? What about my grandmother? I'm wondering if I should call off the visit (so disappointing because they live 5 hours away and are only in town for a medical appointment). My understanding is that we are virus free 21 days after first exposure which isn't until next Friday. My youngest two are vaccinated so we're hopeful they don't contract it.

· Registered
782 Posts
As I understand it, chickenpox re-exposure actually helps waken the immune response and suppress shingles. There have apparently been more cases in the past few years of shingles because people who once had CP are not being re-exposed periodically.
You might want to confirm it with a doctor, but there shouldn't be any risk to exposing someone who has already had CP to it again, and there should be some benefit in suppressing shingles.

Melinda

· Registered
782 Posts
This site says that reactivation of the herpes zoster virus as shingles is not associated with exposure to people with CP.
People with shingles can, however, be contageous, and people who have not had CP can get it from exposure to people with shingles.

Melinda

· Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Everybody who's had chicken pox has the potential to get shingles, the virus stays dormant in us. Some sort of weakening of the immune system is involved in shingles--it's something happening within us, not related to our exposure to outer things (except to the extent that we get rundown).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.