Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband, 5 month old and I are thinking of moving to Ithaca, NY in the next couple of months. Any advice, tips, negatives/positives would be greatly appreciated, especially about good housing areas and local doc for daughter.

Thanks in advance,
Karen

·
Registered
94 Posts
I could have sworn that I replied to this yesterday. Oh, yeah...then the site was down or jammed up or something for a moment.

We moved from Watkins Glen, about a half hour or so from Ithaca, in September. I don't have answers for you myself, but I have an online friend who lives in that area. Not only has she been there for years, if not forever, but she is also a real estate agent who rents, AND she has children, so should know about docs in the area, lol. I am sure she could give you helpful information. Would you like me to talk to her and see about giving you her contact information? I'd be more than happy to do so.

It is a GORGEOUS area up there in the Finger Lakes. I miss the beauty so, so much.

BTW, where in Virginia are you? I grew up in Maryland, and my dh's family is in northern VA.

JET

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I'm the mom of two boys (ages 2.5 and 8 months) and I've been living in Ithaca for the past two years and love it.

It's a small town but feels like a bigger place at times because of the opportunities available. Lots and lots of great opportunities to meet with other moms and make friends. This isn't your typical small town when it comes to "crunchy" options either. So many superb local natural food options. And the town is totally child friendly. One of the best children's libraries I've ever seen, story times galore, nice parks everywhere, a great science center/museum.

Housing options really depend on what you want and what you can afford. DH and I live downtown as we are new to the whole winter thing and like having one car (and not using it much) In nice weather I run 80% of my errands on foot with my boys in the double jogging stroller. DH uses the bus to get to and from work. Some people prefer living outside of town where housing is cheaper and you can have lots of room to roam.

I've tried both of the pediatric practices in Ithaca
and I like the one we are using now. The best practice for kids is a family practice with a couple of doctors but they are small and aren't always accepting new patients. (I wish my kids went there but it hasn't worked out for us)

Ithaca is totally beautiful, it's fun. It's centrally isolated.

Feel free to ask more questions

-Laura

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rootabagamom

I've tried both of the pediatric practices in Ithaca
and I like the one we are using now. The best practice for kids is a family practice with a couple of doctors but they are small and aren't always accepting new patients. (I wish my kids went there but it hasn't worked out for us)
afaik, the only way to get into that practice is as an OB patient, then they will take on your family. Having them backup your MW counts too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the info! Jet - we have already contacted a real estate agent, but would love to have your friends info for backup.

Does anyone know about the Enfield area?

We are currently about 1 hour outside of DC, in Warren County. Could someone tell me a little more about the winters? I guess they are colder because of the lakes?

Karen

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
i grew up in ny, so i dont mind the winters. i dont know about ithaca exactly, but i've lived in central/western ny long enough that it seems like once you've seen one winter, youve seen them all.

as long as you drive slowly and get some good snow tires, you'll be a pro by the end of the winter. (haha, dh and i noticed that even people who have lived here their whole lives seem to forget how to drive in the snow because they are all over the place the 1st snow in oct/nov.) oh, and you really dont need a 4wd suv to live up here. (maybe if you live somewhere closer to the great lakes where they get the lake effect snow pretty badly and if you live in a hilly area, but i dont think ithaca is one of those places.) actually, if you have a 1980s volvo, that's all youd need in ithaca. (take a trip there and you'll see what i mean.)

depending on how the weather is, it can snow in mid to late october, or not snow till late nov. i remember trick or treating with a winter coat and hat on, and other times just a sweatshirt under my costume. i've also worn winter hats and gloves instead of an easter bonnet to easter sunday mass. every now and then we'll get a blizard that makes the national news. its really not as bad as the media makes it sound (just like everything else they have to sensationalize). it snows, they get the plows and salt trucks out, and then its fine. just big piles of snow at the curbs. it gets cold too, but if you're bundled up outside, it really isnt that bad. just be sure to have some waterproof boots, a warm coat, hats, and gloves.

if the 2 pps are talking about the practice i think they are, that's where i take dd and i *love* it there. (i drive over an hour to take dd to the dr.) reading the previous posts, i think i'm super lucky to have been able to get in there when i did. (we needed a new dr immediately, and they happened to be taking new patients.) i think i had called every month last summer, adn they werent taking new patients. i have no clue about right now. i have a strong distrust of people in the medical field, and i *loved* dd's dr within a few minutes of her 1st visit with him. they are non-vax friendly, AP friendly, and so on. they are very familiar with vegetarian diets and probably other "alternative" diets. i *think* there's also a couple practices that are non-vax friendly in trumansburg (is that right?), which is about 15 miles north of ithaca. and if you plan to send dd to a public school, ithaca school district has no problem with religious vax exemptions.

the health food store (green star) there is wonderful. they have a great selection and pretty good prices. they have a produce section with both organic and conventional product. their dairy dept is great too, with the best selection of milks, cheeses, yogurts, sietan, tofu, tempeh, fake meats, etc i have ever seen. they can also do special orders.

ithaca also has a farmers market. i've never been there, so i cant tell you much about it. they also have lots of restaurants, including moosewood. (they make the soups in the refrigerated section of grocery/health food stores that are in the yellowish orange containers.)

just outside of ithaca is a mall/big shopping area. (i've only seen it from the road.) they have lots of big chain stores there like best buy, tops (a grocery store), and i forgot what else. so youre really not stuck in the boonies if you want to do some shopping.

ithaca is a liberal area, so i'm not sure how liberal/conservative you are. i've been told that ithaca has the highest per capita rate of gays/lesbians in the country. at least as of 15 years ago or so, people of different races lived next door to each other with no problems. from what i've seen on my 7 or so visits to ithaca, it doesnt appear to have changed. (but i'm normally in downtown ithaca when i go.)

there's an ithaca ap group on yahoo which has quite a few members if we cant answer all your questions.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I was just up there for the weekend for a family reunion, and man, I wish I could move there too!
We had a lot of fun walking around the Commons, and we saw lots of things that we didn't have time to check out. It seems like a crunchy paradise.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I do not know much about Ithaca, but I have been researching co-housing and eco-villages. There is one eco-village in the Ithaca area.

I can't vouch for them, but I thought you might like a look-see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live at Ecovillage at Ithaca with my 3 1/2 year old daughter. If you are interested in intentional community, it's worth checking it out. I can't say it's everything I wanted in community (I had been looking for awhile) but I definitely feel loved and supported in a way I haven't outside of community. I'd love to talk to you about it more if you are interested.
Much peace.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
My dh and I are considering the move to Ithaca. In fact we are heading out there this coming weekend to chack out real estate etc. We became interested after it was mentioned in Mother Earth News best places to live tbis past issue. From what we gather it seems like an ideal place to raise a family as far as our morals and interests are concerned. Plus, we are from northern, MA southern, NH so we are used to the winters AND any real estate is cheaper than what we are dealing with!!!!

Any more insights/advice or stories??? Things we should check out while we are in town for the weekend??? Places to camp???

peace
hillary

·
Registered
125 Posts
To Flowers -- if you're only in town for a weekend, I would try and check out the Farmers Market, the Commons, and breakfast or lunch at the Ithaca Bakery (Purity Ice Cream too if you love ice cream like I do!). And I would try to get to one of the state parks -- Buttermilk Falls out on Rt.13, or Taughannock Falls State Park on Rt. 89 about 8 miles north of Ithaca on the west side of the lake. Gorgeous scenery, swimming, hikes,etc.

Ithaca has great food, so if you want recs., let me know. The best Thai food I have had anywhere can be found in Ithaca.

I'm not a local, but my parents and MIL live in the area so we spend a lot of time there. It's such a great place for families and kids. It's even fun in the winter,espec. if you're a Cornell hockey fan.

HTH,
Heidi (currently watching the moon rise over the hills surrounding Cayuga Lake, listening to the waves lap on the beach,and enjoying a dish of Purity ice cream)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply! We are leaving tomorrow afternoon! I am so excited!

Oooooo! Thai food! Please give me some recs for quality and afordable eating options.

Much thanks
HIllary

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flowers
Please give me some recs for quality and afordable eating options.
if you havent left yet, a couple of our favorites are short stop sub shop. (if youre a vegetarian, the sietan subs are AMAZING.) i went to moosewood once last summer, and it was really good too. i think its either in the commons or near it. there was a coffee shop in the commons (but i forgot the name) that had some wicked good vegan desserts.
i dont know of any other places because we just spend the day there and usually go to the same places over and over again.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
We are still here. We will be leaving in about 4 hours and I will check in right before I leave. We bought a good guidebook and are bringing our bikes so I think we will cover some good ground. Thanks for everyone who chipped in with some good info!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Hope you're enjoying your visit to Ithaca flowers!

I grew up in Perry City and Trumansburg (about a half hour North, along the west side of Cayuga lake), then attended Cornell, moved away for a while (Boston and NYC), moved back and DH and I have been living in Ithaca for 5 years.

We love the Cayuga Family Medicine family practice...they are not always accepting new patients (they provided my OB care and so my family was "in" thanks to dd's birth) but I've heard that they currently are taking new pediatric patients! They're a great practice for "crunchy" families...and they are partnered with Every Women's Care, a very mama friendly OB/Gyn practice in case you ever need something more "medical" than a family practice can provide.

For housing...well, we bought a house downtown (a few blocks from the Commons on West State Street) three years ago for 82K. The house around the corner from us is currently being sold at 219k. So housing can be a little hit or miss! It sort of depends on how much house repair you can do on your own (our house was a very un-loved crack house that we are rehabbing on our own), if you need to be on the bus route or are willing to drive, and what sort of neighborhood you want to live in.

Some neighborhoods are less than wonderful (drugs have come to Ithaca, and with them an increase in gang related violent crime, and the racial tension in certain neighborhoods is worse than anything I ever saw in Boston or NYC) but others are amazing, or on their way to becoming amazing. So if you find a house you love feel free to PM me (or contact the Ithaca AP yahoo group) to get a feel for that neighborhood...

Also, there is a group called Ithaca Neighborhood Housing Service (http://www.ithacanhs.org/) that helps low/moderate income families find good housing, and helps first time home buyers renovate/repair their home. And there is a program we used where 1st time home buyers purchasing in certain regions can get a special grant to cover closing costs. I forget what it was called, but our real estate agent (through Audrey Edelman) told us about it so I'm sure any agent would know the details.

Real estate outside the city limits is A LOT less expensive so if you're willing to drive a bit then that may be a good option. Check out Trumansburg...it's become a really wonderful, crunchy, small town with good cafes, good coffee, a LLL chapter that meets in the evenings, and there's even decent bus service to Ithaca if your don't drive.

Anyway, I looooove living in Ithaca. And I'm loving raising my dd in this town. It has some real problems that are hard to see from a distance (for example, a lot of the crime is not reported in the local paper...one night we had a shooting next to my house and the paper didn't cover it at all. Not even in the "police blotter" section) but over all it's a great place!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts