Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our washer was broken for awhile and finally got fixed today. I went to go wash ds's diaper which
: hadn't been washed in about a week
:. anyways....i was dumping the clumps of poo into the toilet and one of them had little white worms crawling in it!!!!!!!! i was totally freaked out. can pinworms live in poop that long? is it possible that another bug go in the diaper pail and laid some eggs? Do i need to take ds to the doctor or is this something i can treat naturally on my own? PLEASE I need advice...I'm hoping that the worms I saw were really nothing and ds (and the rest of my family) is fine. thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that was a possibilty..would it occur just from a fly laying an egg in there? (I don't really know how all of that works) There were a couple of small flies and a larger house fly in the pail. Is there a way to check my ds without taking him to the doctor?

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Did they look like little grains of rice? If they did I would say maggots. I dont think any kind of worm lives that long outside the body. You can have your dc tested without going to the dr all you need to do is call them and tell them that you want a test for worms and they will tell you what to do. Here they call the hospital were the test is done and give orders to test the poo for things.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
It's not much fun but.... to check for pinworms , wait until nighttime and (in the dark) shine a flashlight om the area around your little one's anus. If it was maggots you will just see a bum. If it is pinworms, you will see little thread like pinworms crawling all around the anus. It is easily treated with an over-the-counter medication - one dose of Combatrin. You will need to wash all linens, bedding, clothes, stuffed animals, etc. Be sure to do lots of handwashing. You don't need to see a doctor. You have to check at night because that is when they come out to lay their eggs. the way it works is they come out, lay their eggs, it gets itchy, the child scratches and passes the eggs back into the mouth (that is why you have to wash hands so often) and the cycle continues.

You don't want to know why I know this information so thoroughly.

We should have bought stock in the Combatrin company.

:puke

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDCatLvr
Did they look like little grains of rice? If they did I would say maggots. I dont think any kind of worm lives that long outside the body. You can have your dc tested without going to the dr all you need to do is call them and tell them that you want a test for worms and they will tell you what to do. Here they call the hospital were the test is done and give orders to test the poo for things.
They did look like grains of rice. And that's kind of what I thought about them not being able to live outside of the body. I mean they were like still crawling around and stuff and I really didn't think they would still be doing that if they had been living in the diaper pail. It's still really gross to have seen them crawling in his poo but I feel better than having to deal with a pinworm infestation. I will check his bum tonight though. Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hopefully it's not pinworms but if it is remember that the whole family must be treated! My sister just went through this - her dd brought "friends" home from camp with her!

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's probably maggots. I left the lid off the diaper pail with a dirty in it, and flipped out about pinworms too when I noticed them. Then I took a closer look and matched them with pictures of maggots online. There should have been little seed looking brown things mixed in. If you are still concerned, put a piece if tape on your childs' poop hole where the pinworms will lay their eggs. You may even catch a worm on there. Take the tape to the pedi to have it tested to make sure.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I had a similar experience last year. I had gone away for a few days with my kids (DH stayed home) and didn't know that DH left 2 poopy diapers in the kids bathroom -- unrinsed! I came home and started to rinse them and realized they were infested with worms. I almost vomitted--it was so bad. DH had to finish cleaning them--and then I through them out because I just couldn't deal with the worm idea. I'm 99% sure that was maggots. We had a fly in the house at the time, too. DS didn't try to itch himself at all and I never saw any worms after that horrible experience!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts