Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>We had our 3 year well-child visit today, and I brought up some concerns regarding my DD.  She gets extremely over-stimulated by getting dressed which results in wild, out of control behavior.  She frequently complains that her shoes are too tight, a tag is too itchy, food is too hot.  She likes to wear her underwear backwards.  She often tantrums uncontrollably when buckled into her carseat harness.  Many nights, she leaves the table mid-dinner to wash her hands.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>After observing her activity level (she was in constant motion and even banging into the wall repeatedly) and hearing my concerns, the ped said it does seem that my DD has some sensory processing issues.  She said it was up to us when/if we wanted to pursue an evaluation with an OT.  The ped recommended pursuing it if her behaviors disrupt our life.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am struggling with that decision.  Over all, my DD is a bright, sweet 3yo.  Yes, she is very "high energy" and always has been high needs.  When I am not in the moment of one of her tantrums/freakouts regarding getting dressed or her hair brushed or whatever else it is, it doesn't seem like such a problem.  But in the moment--oh my.  Having BTDT, do any of you have thoughts on having an evaluation now versus waiting to see how things change as she matures a bit?</p>

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
<p>Hi Pink Bunch,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would encourage you to get assessed and start therapy now. I was in your position 2.5 years ago, wondering if my dd1 would grow out of various aversions/behaviours. </p>
<p>My 5 yo (almost 6 yo) daughter is blossoming under the care of an excellent OT, and also our family life has become more peaceful because we understand why certain things upset our daughter and are able to accommodate them. I do have some regrets that we didn't start this sooner, only because I think it would have made things that much easier for our daughter & made our family life less conflictual. One of the great things with SPD is that the treatment is pretty fun for most kids, and generally helps them feel great about themselves...so win-win!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Best of luck to you!</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts