Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out yesterday I am 5 weeks pregnant for the 3rd and last time. I was really emotional and kind of disappointed because this happened unexpectedly. My hubby and I have a 2 year old, a 7 month old girl and we were planning on our third to be planned and wait till our daughter was at least one before trying for our third. I have always been unlucky and have my symptoms really early on in my pregnancies but I has a sinking feeling I was preggers this time due to the fact that the nausea became severe and started two weeks ago. The pregnancy test came back fast this time and though one of the lines was a little light, it came in clearer than it did with my daughter at this exact gestation period. I have also been severely dizzy, extremely fatigued...more so than my other pregnancies....yesterday morning, I couldn't stay awake at all....my 2 year old kept smacking me every few seconds to keep me awake and that scares me because with my kids, I can't be falling asleep like this. And the cravings have been outrageous for the past week. I have never had a pregnancy this extreme before and I'm kind of worried because I have three sets of twins on my side....all of which is my generation to have twins and my hubby has one set of twins on his side. Could these symptoms mean I could possibly be carrying twins? And if so, should I be getting to my dr as soon as possible to rule out the twin possibility?

·
Registered
927 Posts
<p>Could be, but there are also other possibilities, like anemia or low blood sugar.  I started seriously suspecting twins when I couldn't lay on my back at all from the beginning, and I've never had supine hypotension before with my other 6 pregnancies; my uterus was palpable at 8 weeks, people were asking if we were expecting again by 9 weeks and I started feeling little jabs regularly at 12 weeks, one by my right hip and another in the upper right fundus.  Totally impossible for a babe the size of a 12 weeker could maneuver that far, especially since I was measuring significantly larger than average at that point.  We finally confirmed with U/S at 19 weeks.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>But, as early as you are, I'd be more concerned about correcting any anemia or blood sugar issues and focus on my diet, as that is the more likely possibility.  Pay attention to your cravings and what they may be telling you about your nutritional needs.  Early pregnancy is no fun!  I can certainly sympathize.  Try to get as much rest as you can!</p>

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
<p>I'm in a somewhat similar situation (see my thread "Is this an "acceptable" level of fatigue?"), and my MW did mention twins as a possibility. She also said it could be anaemia, atypical symptoms for gestational diabetes (although that'd be kicking in pretty early for me at 14 weeks, and VERY early for you!), or some other issue. On my thread, various posters suggested supplementing with things like Vitamin D and eating fewer carbs/more protein - you might want to check out some of those suggestions. Oh, and drink LOTS of water.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Are the twins on your side of the family identical or fraternal? The evidence that identical twins are hereditary is very slim (it's kind of a minority opinion); but fraternal twins are caused by ovulating twice, which is a tendency that can be passed down from mother to daughter. So if the twins are identical I wouldn't let it worry you too much in terms of increasing your chances.... fraternal, I'd be a bit more suspicious.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have to say, even though this pregnancy was planned, the thought of possibly having twins does NOT make me a happy camper. So you have my sympathies. Fingers crossed for low iron, huh? :p</p>

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smokering: yes, all three sets of twins on my side are fraternal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts