Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend told me that her son was interested in attending a new charter school that's opening next year. It didn't occur to me at the time, but the school is not in our school district!<br><br>
I didn't think kids could attend schools outside their district. Or maybe you can pay to attend if you're an outsider? Is my friend confused, or does she know something I don't?

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Depends what you mean by "district." In Los Angeles, there is the Los Angeles Unified School District, but within that there are subdistricts (that's not the correct term but I don't remember what is the correct term), and that is how students are assigned to regular public schools. However, charter schools in Los Angeles are open (by lottery or whatever) to anyone in the entire Los Angeles USD. They also sometimes can take students from within the county who started out there, even if they move to a different district. For instance, DH teaches at a charter school in Los Angeles where a student moved to Long Beach, which has its own Unified School District; but since this student started out at the Los Angeles charter school, she was allowed to stay there.<br><br>
Other states/ counties/ districts/ cities/ whatever probably have their own rules about these things. You probably would have to call the school directly to get the full story on who is and isn't eligible to attend.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
In our area you can fill out a school of choice application at a certain time each year. There is a lottery based on space available. We live in an area where most people commute an hour to work each day. It is very common for them to prefer having their children in the district where they work, not where they live and there are special allowences for that , too (one district guarenteed it, another was by lottery).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts