Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a question and really don't even know who to ask. I figured you folks would know more than me. Help please?

My friend Patricia runs the blog in my signature

She recently got a new job and won't have time to run it, she asked me if I would like to take it over? I guest blogged when she went home to Australia for a month here and there, I liked it for sure! I am a hard-core couponer and sometimes wish I had a blog where I could share all my deals and approach to family savings, etc.

I currently am a WOHM and only have internet access at work. I no longer have a home pc or home internet, nor an already existing phone or cable contract to add internet to. I could probably get my hands on an inxepensive pc if I needed to.

I really want to do this, a lot. She said she has 800 readers subscribed to her feed and another 500 get email updates, I don't have any stats on her other traffic. The blog is a walgreens-oriented coupon savings blog, but I would probably want to expand this to include deals at local grocery chains as well.

Is it totally unrealistic for me to take this on? In an ideal world I'd quit my job, monetize the blog and watch the $$ roll in but I don't think that's going to happen, it would have to make $1k a month for me to be able to stay home with my little one! (my super cheap health insurance would be gone too)

Anyway, I just really like the idea. It sounds fun, it sounds like a challenge, it sounds like something new to learn about (the world of branding, monetization, getting hot posts out before everyone else) and it's been a long time since I got excited about something like this. At the same time, if I'm going to do it I want to do it right, and not put out a low quality product. I don't know that I could do that only doing it from work.

Thoughts? Questions? Suggestions? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow, sounds like a great oppurtunity. I'm assuming you will also be benefiting on the financial end?

I might do some research on how to properly do a "blog take over" or whatever you want to call it. You want to make sure that the blog is yours in every way.

Also, I can't imagine you'll be able to blog without a home PC. I think that and a high speed connection is an absolute must.

If you continue to expand the blog (and it sounds like it's off to an awesome start!) I don't think 1k a month is totally unrealistic. Not that it's going to happen overnight, but that's an attainable number to work towards.

In the meantime, you'll really have to burn the midnight oil to make this work.

BTW, I think that blog is fantastic and I just bookmarked it. I love Walgreens deals!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
What a fun challenge!

I agree with Molly though, You definitely will need a computer and internet at home, unless you want to be spending a lot of time in a coffee shop or library or something, which I think would be MUCH harder.

I say go for it!

( Oh how I would love to make $1,000 a month for writing....)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the feedback so far. Yes, she would just shut the blog down if I did not take over, and she said she didn't want to waste the resource of the readership she has developed.

I'm kind of coming to a turning point in my life, I've been introspecting and thinking about going back to take my 1 class to finish my degree, how little time I spend with my son (5:30pm to bed at 8:30) each day, and this is something that really caught my attention.

I could probably get ahold of a computer, it's the internet service that would be the $$. We moved to a much bigger house in a nicer neighborhood a year and a half ago, and in order to afford it we dropped the cable and internet. My only option in the boonies is dsl which, with phone service required, would run $60/month. DH has been unemployed since November and just started a lawn care job this week. Now's probably not the best time for me to make sudden life changes or add expenses.

But I really want to do this!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kluella View Post
Thank you all for the feedback so far. Yes, she would just shut the blog down if I did not take over, and she said she didn't want to waste the resource of the readership she has developed.

I'm kind of coming to a turning point in my life, I've been introspecting and thinking about going back to take my 1 class to finish my degree, how little time I spend with my son (5:30pm to bed at 8:30) each day, and this is something that really caught my attention.

I could probably get ahold of a computer, it's the internet service that would be the $$. We moved to a much bigger house in a nicer neighborhood a year and a half ago, and in order to afford it we dropped the cable and internet. My only option in the boonies is dsl which, with phone service required, would run $60/month. DH has been unemployed since November and just started a lawn care job this week. Now's probably not the best time for me to make sudden life changes or add expenses.

But I really want to do this!
sometimes to make money you gotta spend money.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only posted maybe once or twice a week. To stay competitive you really need at LEAST one post a day.

I could probably give it a try from work, see how it goes, and take it from there.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The library is a bit out of the way but it's there. That would be my only option aside from squeezing a post in each day at work.

I've spoken with my husband and I think I'm going to give it a shot, see how much time it takes up, how much $ it makes, and proceed from there. I can also use the computer at my in-law's on the weekends to do scheduled posts and anything that might take a little more time.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Is there a way you could write at home when you have time and do the online stuff from work? (Obviously, you'd need a way to get the material from one computer to another.....external hard-drive or something?).

(I may or may not use the last 2 hours of my shift 10p-midnight to work on a blog from work
)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.