Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been NIP for over 4 straight years and I have never had a bad experience. No rude stares, comments, nothing. And it is not just the area I live in, because I have nursed all over the country, on airplanes, in restaurants, in other countries, etc. Am I just lucky? I even nursed my 3 year old on an airplane and the worst thing that happened was the flight attendant told me to watch his legs when the cart was passing by.
Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see other's experiences.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
DS is 18 months and I never have. Til he got too big he nursed nestled in the sling, until about 10 months. Now I cover as much as I can with my shirt out of modesty. Most people don't notice. When they do the uncofortable ones politely excuse themselves or start looking away while talking to me. Nobody's complained.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I nursed my son for four years, and we were still frequently nursing in public until close to age 3. I was never harassed or treated badly by anyone. Most of our nursing was done in the Midwest or the southeastern US.

I could say SO much more about this ... like NIP in the floor sample leather recliner in a Sam's Club warehouse every week with customers just walking by and smiling at us ... or nursing a boo-boo away at the playground, and a younger child asking what my DS was doing, and being perfectly satisfied with a simple and truthful answer ...

We had many, many positive NIP experiences, and I just want that for everyone. I felt so validated in my mothering through breastfeeding when a stranger just smiled in recognition and approval, or when an acquaintance just carried on conversing with me while I nursed my son. This is such a key part of making breastfeeding a normal and valued part of our society.

·
Registered
720 Posts
No bad experiences for us either. I nursed dd until she was 2.5, and I am currently nursing ds in public all the time. I have only had people say positive things

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Nope, never. I've nursed 3 children over the last 6 years, lived on the west coast, the midwest and spent time in New England and Georgia with nursing babies/toddlers. I've never had a problem with NIP.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Never had a bad experience. I nursed for a total of 5 years, 1 year tandem nursing. Never a look, a comment, nothing. I had one elderly couple thank me for "giving them hope for the future" when I was tandem nursing my 1 and 4 year old at an amusement park.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I never had anthing negative in the 5y 3m I nursed both my kids. But I rarly go anywere so I only had to nurse a handful of times in all those years.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I've never had what I'd call a bad experience. I have had a few looks once or twice - but that's it. I'm honestly surprised since the area I live is so conservative and EVERYONE FFs. Maybe people just don't know what I'm doing

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I've been nursing on and off (mostly *on*) for going on 6 years now, and have never had a bad experience. I've nursed at malls, resaraunts, parks, airports, airplanes, Disney World - even at a wedding.

DH is actually WAITING for a chance to go off on someone for saying something about me NIP. Sometimes I get the feeling that he's actually disappointed that he hasn't had the chance to educate someone on breastfeeding!

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.