Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have a few more months to go
but I was wondering if anyone else out there was planning on using cloth for post-pardum? I switched over to cloth and the diva cup after ds#2 was born, though I only used it all for 4 months before getting pregnant, but since I use the diva full-time, I don't have much cloth, especially for heavy bleeding, like ppd. (How was that for a sentence?!) So I'm window shopping for mama cloth for postpardum, and thinking I might just make my own. I do have a few different ones that I've used (Kristen's Cloth, Mom&Me, Rhythm&Blues, and a couple others - I bought a variety pack from DiaperWare), but I'm thinking with a new babe, two other boys, two in cloth (unless ds#2 potty learns by then), and then me in cloth ... I might want simplicity and uniformity!
Anyways ... I'm just rambling and really was curious if anyone else is looking ahead for mama-care after baby comes.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I use Sweet Cheeks. I've got a pretty good stash, but she just came out with a bigger pad so I'll probably get a few of those, too. I read somewhere that while in the hospital (if you'll be going there) to just use washcloths and put them into the dirty linen container. That's what I'm planning, too.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just got the diva cup and was able to use it for a few days of one cycle, but then I got pregnant, and then I miscarried and it didn't work very well for the miscarriage, probably because of the position of my cervix. Anyway,I got preggo right away, so I've only used it for one cycle, but I did love it.

During my last miscarriage, I really wished I'd had some cloth because after spending the money on a diva cup, I couldn't bring myself to buy more disposables. So I attempted making them, but they didn't turn out very well. I really want some for post-partum but I'm not sure what kind to buy, or if I should find a pattern and try to make my own.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I've never heard of using cloth or cups... I get the gist of what they're for here, but could someone clue me in, please? I'm open and curious!
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's some examples of mama cloth and the diva cup. Basically though they are reusable cloth pads instead of disposible pads. I always found disposible pads very uncomfortable and never could use tampons, so when I finally discovered cloth pads and the cup, I was in heaven! The cup, imo, is very very convenient, though it can't be used ppd (not that I would even want to try!
), but the pads are so comfortable, that I'm sure they will be soooo much better than disposible ppd.

·
Registered
897 Posts
When I had my first I tore really bad. I ended up being in so much pain from the pads rubbing me raw and not getting any air down there that I ended up using washcloths at the time. I didn't even know about mama cloth then! It is way more comfortable! I'm looking into buying some ppd mama cloth right now!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ive heard that right after baby is born to use some premie sized prefolds, they are bigger sized and perfect for pads with heavy flow, and a heck of a lot cheaper! Im not sure what route I will go but Im really tempted to try the cloth. Heck as long as I have diapers to do anyhow why not right?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Cloth feel sooooooo much better than disposable during the post partum time. I used Gladrags (the overnight size), but I only had 4 of those, so I did have to use some disposable. This time around I am going to make some of my own, it will give me an excuse to learn how to use the serger my husband gave me for Christmas last year
I also like that idea of using some preemie prefolds, esspecially for that first day or so when flow is pretty heavy and I won't be doing anything but laying in bed.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
hmm.... I do recognize the cup now... my midwife asked me if I wanted one after I had Juels. She said she uses them and the only time she had a leak was once when she took a nasty fall while skiing, and it twisted and spilled. The cloth does seem more comfortable, I get rashes and yeast infections from pads. But I do have 2 concerns.
1) With either option, say you're in a public bathroom stall and you need to change/empty... how does that work? Don't your hands get messy when you empty the cup? Also, if you're out in public what would you do with the pad? I assume at home you would rinse it and plop it in the diaper bucket.
2) The other thing is, how do the pads stay in place? Even the disposeable sticky backed ones slide around and leak on me. Especially if you use a preemie diaper... wouldn't it bunch and slide around?
Just curious.

I don't know if any of you did this, and I think it would work with whatever kind of pad you use, but my doula had me run a streak of water down the middle and keep them in the freezer. That helped sooo much. I had a small tear and some stiches and it just felt super nice.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grace's voice
hmm.... I do recognize the cup now... my midwife asked me if I wanted one after I had Juels. She said she uses them and the only time she had a leak was once when she took a nasty fall while skiing, and it twisted and spilled. The cloth does seem more comfortable, I get rashes and yeast infections from pads. But I do have 2 concerns.
1) With either option, say you're in a public bathroom stall and you need to change/empty... how does that work? Don't your hands get messy when you empty the cup? Also, if you're out in public what would you do with the pad? I assume at home you would rinse it and plop it in the diaper bucket.
2) The other thing is, how do the pads stay in place? Even the disposeable sticky backed ones slide around and leak on me. Especially if you use a preemie diaper... wouldn't it bunch and slide around?
Just curious.

I don't know if any of you did this, and I think it would work with whatever kind of pad you use, but my doula had me run a streak of water down the middle and keep them in the freezer. That helped sooo much. I had a small tear and some stiches and it just felt super nice.
1. When I'm wearing the diva cup I can go all day without changing it. It never fills all the way up. I've never been stuck in a public bathroom needing to empty it.

2. When using cloth pads, a lot of them snap around your undies. I don't have problems at all with them moving around. Like I said with my first I ended up using wash cloths. It was still early on so I wasn't up moving around much.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Thanks!

Well, I'll deffinately talk to my mf about the cup again when the time comes. Since my first birth my flow has been super heavy (like I have had to use tampons and pads at the same time) and I used to be able to use just a tampon for 6-8 hours. So something that I won't have to change constantly would be awesome!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I have a few GladRags & love them except for the fact they are a little too long for me. They will be perfect though for post partum. I haven't used the Diva cup, but sometimes use a disposable Instead-same basic concept, just not reuseable.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grace's voice
1) With the cup and being in a public restroom, if your flow is heavy and you are afraid you'll need/want to empty it, you could always pack a small baggie with disposible wipes (or even better the flushable ones), and use those for a quick clean-up before leaving the stall. In terms of pads, you can buy wet-bags small enough for 1-2 pads, and keep those in your purse and/or diaper bag. When you get home, you can throw them in the diaper pail (which is what I usually do), or you can keep a small tub with lid (like an empty gallon ice cream container) conspicuously hidden by the toilet filled with water and hydrogen peroxide. Then when you do diaper laundry, you can just throw the content of that in there too. The hydrogen peroxide helps lift the blood from teh pad if you don't like stains (personally I could care less).

2) And yep, most pads have wings that snap around under your undies. The only pads I've had issues with are those backed in pul where the knit side is against my underware - those tend to slide around a bit. But I would think a strip of microfleece down the underside of a pad would help it "grab" onto the fabric of the underware and help prevent shifting. But other than pul backed ones, I've never had an issue with shifting.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I'm going to do the premie prefolds too ... and then buy some nice flannel and microfleece, and make some holders for them than have snaps on the wings. Kristen's Cloth pads has a pattern for purchase through One Stop Diaper Shop. I have one of the pads themselves and they look pretty easy to sew, but it would be nice to have the pattern for the various sizes. I might also get some wool jersey and felt it really good, and use that for backing ... breathable and water-resistant.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Thats a really good idea with the wet wipes Brit, thanks! (Obviously I'm not much of a thinker
)

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
OK Ladies- I'm w all of you. Now, where can you find this stuff!!

Show us your links!!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Sweet Cheeks

Those are what I use. They have fleece backing so they stay put. They don't wrap around or snap so you do have to hold them when you pull your pants down. It isn't too much of a bother and you get used to it. (I've never had to fish one out of the toilet.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.