Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a bit early to think of this, but I remember that right after having ds, I relied way too much on TJ's prepackaged meals. It's hard to plan around the aversions right now, but I think that starting now, sharing recipes, will make it more 'manageable' to pre-cook and freeze enough food for when our little ones make their appearances.

I'm wondering if anyone is also planning on making their own meals and freezing them for the month or two post-baby?

Has anyone done so?

For myself, I'm thinking of making a bunch of them 'allergen' free (no dairy, gluten, etc). Ds had a HUGE sensitivity to corn that made the first 4 months HARD. I'm thinking meats & veggies, rice, and lovely spices!

Anyone know if curry freezes well?

Ami

·
Registered
593 Posts
I did this with my last pregnancy. I didn't come up with a ton of variety, but I had a few things stocked in the freezer which came in really handy. I bet curry would freeze ok, although, I'm not sure how potato freezes? I think it would probably be ok, though.
I made some of the usual stuff -- chili, meatballs, banana bread, pancakes, soups.

I recently bought a freezer cookbook, so I'm hoping to get a few ideas from that.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
I made a bunch of stews, soups and sauces for last time. My baby was born in the summer so we stocked up on things like hamburgers and chicken breasts so we could grill easily. I love having a baby in summer/fall for the fresh produce factor...everything will be in harvest come September and I plan to take advantage of that in my meal planning. Lots of salads, grilled veggies and corn roasts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow, I'm still peeing on sticks (well I did today for the first time in a couple of weeks just to make sure lol)....

And you're thinking of PP freezer meals?! You are on the ball!!!!

With my last baby instead of a traditional baby shower, I had a frozen dinner party. Everyone had to bring a frozen dish for us, and most of them ended up bringing presents as well. I guess people just can't get out of that baby shower mentality.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
I wish I had thought of this for the first trimester
None of the stuff I cooked and froze in preparation for the first trimester sounds good to me now.
I have completely different aversions this time to in my last pregnancy. Last time I didn't want to even think about meat, this time I don't want to look at veggies. Or anything home cooked, it seems... It was worth a try, though!

I think freezing for post partum sounds like a great idea.
Although secretly I'm hoping to have my parents and/or parents in law around to cook for me post partum.

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules09 View Post
None of the stuff I cooked and froze in preparation for the first trimester sounds good to me now.

still would be nice to have meals ready for my kids even if I end up eating crap... i feel more guilty for feeding them not-so-healthy food than feeding myself it... because its all I can get down.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I definitely plan on doing freezer meals this go around, and have done them each time (thanks to great advice from good mamas, lol
) I go to this blog http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/ and she recently posted a list of freezer meal ideas to get you through five weeks...some of the stuff on the list sounds really yummy (at least atm, lmao) I have to pull out my huge and disastrously unorganized recipe box and start pulling out keepers to share with you mamas before long
I did a lot of soups and stews and sauces and freezer friendly pasta dishes and breads last time which were yummy, I hope some of those still sound good, lol!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.