Mothering Forum banner

141 - 160 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
@gabeyho Yeah. I've been crapping glass shards for two days. This happened with the last baby. I had several postpartum BM's that were totally fine and normal and then- BAM- outta nowhere comes the glass shards (otherwise known as anal fissures, of course). So painful!!!! My rectocele has returned, as well as the cystocele, so I am back to "splinting" when I poop. Fun times.

Add that to crummy sleep and killer boobs (trying to figure out why my boobs hurt so much pumping still) and it's not fun.

Everything will be so much better in only a few weeks. It always is. Just surviving until then!

On a happier note, I got my birth announcements ordered. I think I'm about ready to start wearing my belly bandit now too, which makes me happy.
@Valerie11 I think I remember you mentioning the belly bandit and hating how it fits in the front. I have found two tricks that help with that- one is to make the top tighter than the bottom when you put it on. The other is to actually wear the thing sideways or backwards. I have a couture one and a bamboo one and I always wore them backwards. I'm not sure if the original would be too stiff to do that or not though. It's definitely not a perfect binder since it doesn't conform at all to the female figure. I just haven't seen anything that is that easy to put on that is any better. Did you find anything?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I love my baby...but...

I HATE POSTPARTUM LIFE!!!!

That is all I have to say for now :irked

Amen.

Question for you ladies - how do you feel about babies tummy sleeping? Are you strictly "back to sleep"? Is there an age where you feel comfortable with tummy sleeping? Or do you think the SIDS risk is overblown? Or that other factors are more important?

I'm unsure. Gus will not be placed on his back, for any amount of time, swaddled (which he hates) or not. Our compromise has been sleeping tummy to tummy (on his side), and even then he wakes every hour. This evening I had to set him down just so I could pee and brush my teeth. He was sleeping deeply in my arms. Placed him on back - immediately startled and cried. Flipped him to his tummy and he passed back out immediately, and has been like that for almost an hour - an eternity for this babe who is virtually never out of arms. I'm torn because I do think tummy sleeping is probably more "natural" and it sure looks more comfortable. But the back to sleep thing has been drilled in deep. Maybe I'll feel better about it when he isn't so tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
All my babies sleep on their sides and tummies. It's so natural for them. The cradle hammock rocker thing I just got facilitates back sleeping really well, since it's at an incline, but otherwise all my babies have startled awake when laid flat on their backs.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My second was a hardcore tummy sleeper. I spent four months in constant guilt and paranoia, until another mother said, "Nah, if she can roll over front to back, you're fine," and that put my mind at ease. That child's a polar bear pose sleeper to this day. I'm trying to stick to putting this one to sleep on her back and side only, but... We'll see. There will come a time when she doesn't transition so effortlessly from face-down on Mom's chest to lying deeply asleep on her back, so I make no promises just yet. :)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
We are tummy sleepers here.

With my first, I stuck with back and she was a horrible sleeper... HORRIBLE! When the second came along, I started the tummy sleeping when she could roll over. With the third, I tried back and within a week or 2, we switched to tummy sleeping. This kid... Well we tried back sleeping a few times, but even in the seats with an incline, she just won't have it!

There are several reasons that I am comfortable with the tummy sleeping. Long story short, we have no other risk factors for SIDS. (I have had adaquate prenatal care, I don't smoke, I drink rarely, I am not under 20. Baby was not premature, is never exposed to second hand smoke, and has no family history.) I do follow most other precautions (mostly because of common sense, not because they are actual warnings), like not overdressing baby, not sleeping with lots of blankets, etc.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I've been wondering about this myself. With the last baby I let her sleep on her tummy when she started rolling over and she slept much better. This baby wakes up so much that I have kicked around the thought of just trying the tummy now...but like Luckiest said, the back thing has been drilled into me and I am afraid to do it. My brain tells me it's most likely just fine but then I think "but what if...".

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
If you are cosleeping with baby in your room, and preferably right next to your bed, I think the risk of tummy sleeping is next to nil. I believe the risk that was determined from all the studies mainly involved babies sleeping alone in other rooms. But don't quote me on that, it's been a long time since I read anything about it and experience has taught me it's about as dangerous and blown out of proportion as cosleeping.

·
Registered
885 Posts
When I had my first thirteen years ago, they specifically said to put him on his tummy or side. Then, by the next one four years later, they said always on the back and it's been that way ever since. I will agree that he sleeps more soundly when on his tummy on me than any other position, but at night he sleeps next to me either on his back or side. He has really good head and neck muscles for a newborn, so I would hope that he could move into a position where he can breathe. I probably won't put him on his tummy until he can roll over.

@cagnew, I have the belly bandit listed for sale. I think I got a wrong size. I did try to make it tighter on the top, but even at the tightest it wasn't enough. I will try it backwards. The original is a bit stiffer, I think, than the bamboo or whatever the other one is.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Thank you all for the input, it's good to know I'm not alone!

It does make me feel better that we have no other risk factors...we're breastfeeding, cosleeping, I don't drink or smoke, we follow the safe cosleeping rules, he wasn't premature...I did turn on the overhead fan last night to get the air circulating better. We had a much better night of sleep, but still spent most of the night tummy to tummy. I think today I'll try actually setting him down in the crib on his belly to nap, see how that goes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Honestly.. now that I think about it our baby sleeps on her side mostly. I always put her on her back but she ends up turning and going stomach to chest with me when we co sleep. I kind of end up curling around her and just make sure she isn't pressed up against me too tight. I don't think she likes to be strictly on her back as the few times we have tried it with swaddling she doesn't settle.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
How much do your newborns sleep during the day? Joshua will be 4 weeks on Friday and he still sleeps A LOT during the day. Most of the day really. When he is awake he isn't happy for too long, which is a bummer. He is very wakeful at night, although we are usually able to get him back to sleep after a bit.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Jonathan sleeps all day, too. He will be 3 weeks tomorrow. There are maybe two times a day that he stays awake for an hour at most. Sometimes it's at night. I find that he's okay just looking around as long as he's not wet or doesn't have gas or isn't hungry. So if it is at night, I just leave the light on for him to look at things.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Our baby seems pretty random. She will be awake usually 20-30 minutes after she eats sometimes but is quiet and just looks around. Other times she passes out for hours after eating. She is pretty good about sleeping as long as she is co sleeping in the middle of the night. I would say she sleeps most of the day though. The few times she is awake I try to take advantage and talk to her and interact with her.

·
Registered
514 Posts
At almost 6 weeks, today was the first day DS was awake for the sake of being awake. He had 2 or 3 periods of wakefulness. Some nights he is crazy fussy, other nights he sleeps so long as he is held and bounced. Today he hung out in the carrier and looked at the trees.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
One week old today, and Gus has surprised me by having lots of long wakeful periods already. Today he mostly slept, but yesterday and the day before he had two very long (like 3-4 hour) wakeful stretches. He is happy, just alert. Only once has he had a nighttime wakeful period. It was three hours...! The next day was the first time that I felt desperately, horrifically tired.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ugh. I'm so constipated! That, a wretched milk blister and sitting on my tailbone all day and night nursing is making me so uncomfortable. I feel like I need a walk but there's no way I'm going out into the ice right now. Need to lance the blister, but never get time to before he needs to nurse again! I finally had my first BM today (day 5) after a stool softener and some prune juice. Still have a long way to go, but it was not as bad as I feared it would be. Anyway, mostly in bliss over here, but needed to vent for a minute!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Up with the baby right now. He was up, I was up, so we just got up.

I've been having some itching, so yesterday I finally broke down and called the OB office to schedule an appointment before 6 weeks, thinking this is a yeast infection. The nurse called me back and the first question she asked is, "What brand of pads are you using?" I said, "Always," and she says, "Okay, that's your problem." Supposedly, that brand causes a sort of allergic reaction in many women. She said to put a couple of tablespoons of vinegar into the water squeeze bottle thing with cool water and rinse with that a couple of times a day, and also to apply hydrocorisone cream, as well and see if it gets better in a few days. It has already helped a lot. And I just switched to reusable pads a couple of days ago, so good timing.

BTW, those incontinence pads I was using... I don't remember what brand those were. Once I ran out is when I switched to the Always, because it was just what I had left over in my bathroom.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Early morning waking for us, too. Normally not a morning person, but this little girl makes it all okay! We woke up to change an explosive diaper, and during the change she peed all over the bed (thanks Daisy!)... as I deal with the wetness, a silverfish crawled by my leg (IN THE BED!!!)... I could probably have dealt with sleeping in a little pee for a couple of hours, but that little silverfish sealed our fate... let the day begin!

141 - 160 of 233 Posts