Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>2 of my children were nursed until preschool age.  Both have now weaned from nursing but continue to be drawn to my breasts for comfort.  My youngest (age 4) holds her own nipples as a comfort measure when she is stressed, and wants to rub my breasts (over a shirt) early in the morning as she is waking up or at times when she is stressed and I am nearby.  My older guy (age 7) is very tactile in nature and puts his hand on my shoulder, neck, or upper chest (skin on skin) as he is falling asleep.  He tends to move his hand around and if I did not stop him I'm sure he would be on my breast as this behavior began when he was still nursing.  I don't allow him to touch my breast, but this ritual does make me realize that even past nursing there is a process a child goes through with detaching emotionally from his or her mother's breast as a source of comfort.  I personally believe far too much emphasis goes toward breasts being a sexual object and I would like my children to understand otherwise.  But also I understand we need to teach our children that it is not okay to touch others private areas.  So I'm just curious how other's who have nursed older children have made that transition.  How and when have you stopped allowing your children to touch you?</p>

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
<p>I know exactly what you mean by weaned children seeking comfort near their mothers breasts. I had 3 sons that nursed a long time. For me as they got older they became more separated and independent. I didn't really need to do anything change their behavior. My youngest was comfortable with snuggling and seeking physical comfor the longest. He had the least contact with people outside our family and didn't feel the social pressure that boys shouldn't be doing that.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>They are all adults now. I grew up in a family that had no good touching and no comforting. My children are much more physical than I tend to be and that was my goal.</p>

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Thanks for your reply.  I love that my kids love to cuddle still! </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts