Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on mine, and surfing the web for ideas of what I want it to look like. After working almost all day today, I finally feel like I have a good framework that I can add to as needed, but I'd still LOVE to see others!

And I'd also like to know how you went about getting your website. Did you design it yourself, pay someone to do it, or barter with a client for it? Do you plan to add to it in the future? Are the photos stock photos or did someone do them for you? Does your stationery (bus cards, brochchures, etc) match your website? Hmmm...I think that's it....for now.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
www.edenwaybirth.com

I did this all myself, and have taken months to do it, sadly
. The pictures are professional photos of a client whose photographer is grateful for the free publicity. I feel very blessed in that regard because when I was looking at stock photos, the prices were outrageous and the pictures weren't that great.

I'd like to add birth stories, testimonials, and articles about out-of-hospital birth to it someday. And of course a tour of the birth center one day (anticipation of that is what cued the latest website remodel).

I'd like for my business cards to have the same feel to them, but they don't have to match exactly.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
*not a mw*

I built this myself and have been working on it (when I can) for about a month.

I need more photographs (I have plenty but no time to resize) What I have now are friends and family shots that I'd like my dh (computer wonder that he is) to shop them up a bit.

http://www.birthsure.com

I'd also like to:
-finish linking to people I know in my community
-begin linking to useful research sites (mothering, Gentelbirth, circ sites etc)
-finish the book list (about 35 more to go, and I want to scan in photos of the covers, too)
-add birth stories
-add testimonials
-add links to documents (JAMA and ACOG stuff and research)
-clean up my text and make what I have said more substance and "bang"
-get higher rathing on searches

-add some counters and local stuff

But first I need to remeber how to stop time so I have the freedom to do all of this w/o taking anything away from my current work or family!

I haven't had a single referral or question or feedback from the site so it's a dang good thing I haven't invested anything but the time I usually spend SLEEPING!!

Charlotte I checked out your site and find the colors and photographs soothing! Bit it's a tiny bit hard to navigate since the buttons aren't on the left (where most are) I'd give you a call if I were in need of a MW though!

Carrie

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I love all the sites!
I fear I have TOO much information on mine. My girlfriend says my site doesn't really reflect my personality much, but I think if it did it would probably turn off alot of people.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
http://www.peacemama.net

Mine is exceedingly simple... I am not a computer person. Luckily my best freinds and sister are. I got a cheap domain thru Comcast. My friend used a template from "Dreamweaver" to set it up so even *I* can understand it and modify it when necessary... She also knows a site that sells photos that one can use on a website w/o violating copyright laws.

I worked hard on it, simple as it is, and hey, it is a convenient tool for getting the info out, yes?

Love your sites ladies, beautiful

·
Registered
255 Posts
*not a midwife either*

But, in the interest of the topic, I thought I'd post the website of where my kids were born.

www.greenhousebirthcenter.com

Its a free standing center in Michigan. We'll hopefully be going back when we get pregnant again.

By the way, I'm loving looking at everyone's sites. I love to see all the baby pictures and bellys!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rockie, I didn't mean for just midwives to post...I'm loving seeing ALL the websites
, and I'm glad to know that they're all a work in progress.

I know what you mean about no referrals from the web. I've had one, though I don't know how many people look and don't call (which would be nice to know, I guess!). I'm so glad I didn't spent a lot of money getting my website set up. It started really basic, just as a placeholder for the most part, because my phone book ad has my website in it and I wanted SOMETHING there...lol.

I'd like to include more about why homebirth and my birth philosphy, as well as an information page on waterbirth (along the lines of the GBC website, which I really like!). I'm also going to start a Centering Pregnancy program at the birth center, so I want some information on that there. However, I don't know where the time will come from! With the remodeling and such, the website is going to end up on the back burner, I think.

·
Registered
255 Posts
One of the blessings of the GBC website, is that it is maintained by one of the moms who gave birth there, so the mw don't have to fuss with updating everything. Someone else does it for them. Probably not an option for you, but just something to think about.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I get alot of hits on my website and I list my website address in my yellow page ad. that way I can save money on the space by directing people to my philosophy/type of care/services, etc.

I also notice that there are many clients that google "salem midwife" or "oregon midwife" when looking for a midwife. My site comes up in the search engine pretty close to the top.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pamamidwife
that way I can save money on the space by directing people to my philosophy/type of care/services, etc.
That's my plan as well. I don't intend to have a brochure printed or anything because all of my literature is on the website, which is on by business cards, will be on my sign, my car magnet, and in the phone book ad. It seems like in the long run it'll be a lot less expensive.

www.gentlechoicesbirth.com is a website for another birth center in LA. They have a very professional brochure, business cards, letterhead and open house invites that match the website exactly. The benefits of an investor, I guess...it's a cool idea but seems like overkill for what I'm wanting to accomplish.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am just a lurker here, hope its ok if i post my site too!!! i think i need to have a little work done to it but not sure what.... i know after i come back from maternity leave i will want to definately have work done to it. i not computer savvy enough to do my own site and have a wonderful friend who did mine for me. i highly recommend her to anyone looking for a site!!

http://www.peacefulbeginningsdoula.com

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'm not a midwife either, but my site is in my siggy.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmie981
And I'd also like to know how you went about getting your website. Did you design it yourself, pay someone to do it, or barter with a client for it?
I designed it myself and have tweaked here and there over the years. I've had one for over 5 years though only got my own domain name a bit over a year ago.

Quote:
Do you plan to add to it in the future?
Well I keep "planning" to. It just never happens lol.

Quote:
Are the photos stock photos or did someone do them for you?
All the photos are of clients who gave me permission to use them. I took them.

Quote:
Does your stationery (bus cards, brochchures, etc) match your website?
Yes. I use my logo on cards, brochures, handouts, invoices, receipts, etc.

Quote:
Hmmm...I think that's it....for now.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmie981
Rockie, I didn't mean for just midwives to post...I'm loving seeing ALL the websites
, and I'm glad to know that they're all a work in progress.

I know what you mean about no referrals from the web. I've had one, though I don't know how many people look and don't call (which would be nice to know, I guess!). I'm so glad I didn't spent a lot of money getting my website set up. It started really basic, just as a placeholder for the most part, because my phone book ad has my website in it and I wanted SOMETHING there...lol.
http://www.statcounter.com is an awesome program. It gives you so much more information then just how many people visited your site. I get MOST of my referrals from my website.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have created a new screen name as I am now TTC. I'm trying very hard (although a bit unsucessfully) to draw a line between being a mother and a Doula!
: I am hoping to join one of the due date clubs soon and also HB- we'll see!

Here is my website. (It is also a work in progress, so if you see anything that needs corrected, please let me know!
)

www.freewebs.com/mindoverlabor

Btw.. your websites rock!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts