Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the most comprehensive, on all aspects of each subject, books about all aspects of self sustainable living. several of the areas of interest are:

plant identification, uses (incl. medicinal), storage (incl building root cellar)/ preservation,organic growing and pest control

animal raising (pigs,goat,sheep,bees, chicken...) and disease identification & control

DIY medical books incl. dental
making things from scratch like candles, soaps, clothing,snow shoes etc

DIY butchering, cutting, preservation of meats
tanning leather & making things from leather

working with glass

from shearing wool to spinning yarn and weaving

basically all and any you can think of- aspects of living, as much as possible, solely off the land

· Registered
94 Posts
I have to recommend Bill Mollison's books on permaculture, the intro or the designer's manual. While they don't directly address what you are asking for, they provide an ethical framework and methodology of tying all of the elements you are asking about together and making living off of the land more efficient.

I also like Gene Lodgson's books, and Tom Brown has some good guides to plants and observational skills. The Storey's guides are good. Root Cellering by Bubel, Seed to Seed by Ashworth & Whealy, The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Emery. Since most of us take plumbing for granted, I'll mention The Humanure Handbook by Jenkins.

Mother Earth News is a good periodical along these lines.

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks i'll start looking into those.
I have to agree with Tom Brown, Logsdon and Jenkins. Those are great books!
I'm still open to suggestions on other books especially ones that make great referencing material and those you have found really useful.

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just wanted to add that i just checked out storey's guides, root cellaring and seed to seed and they look to be excellent recourses. i realize that i may have to get a lot of books to cover all the topics and then some but these are the kind i'm looking for thanks!!!

· Registered
94 Posts
I got home and looked at my book shelf and forgot about the soil and water books. Teaming with Microbes by Lowenfels and Lewis, Soil and Health by Howard, Design for Water by Kinkade-Levario, and Art Ludwig has a couple good books on graywater and water collection and storage. Again, not exactly what you are requesting, but these elements are so critical, it's good to have references

And Four Season Harvest by Coleman is a good one too.

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jighead you are so helpful! actually these books are exactly what I'm looking for in addition to ones like these on those other topics. I would love to see your bookshelf! we've implemented some of these practices and wish to do so further and have a good reference on hand, and some we have yet to instigate. I'm trying to increase our books on these topics so we can read up and refer back should any problems arise. I'll also add that we're in Maine in case that helps anyone as I know the climate greatly differs through the US.

· Registered
2,047 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jighead View Post
Mother Earth News is a good periodical along these lines.
Mother Earth News (MEN) created the magazine scene in the 70's but really seem to be very "yuppie" these days.... if you have $40K here is how you can be "green" type articles. Although it's a great primer.

I would recommend Countryside Small Stock & Journel or Backwoods Home Magazine. They feature more DIY appilcations, although is not flashy as MEN; more stories than photos.

· Registered
94 Posts
mommabear, I stumbled across Vivian's Manual of Practical Homesteading in the library the other day. Covers lots of subjects with limited depth, but wrote it from New England, so his specific examples may help you out.

· Registered
352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jighead View Post
mommabear, I stumbled across Vivian's Manual of Practical Homesteading in the library the other day. Covers lots of subjects with limited depth, but wrote it from New England, so his specific examples may help you out.
I'm a big fan of Logsdon, but what I like about Vivian is the section on butchering complete with photos (although the one of his assistant holding a tray of knives just creeps me out - anyone else know the one I'm talking about? I get the feeling that young man may have move from animals to people if you know what I mean...)

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks. i have quite the list. if anyone is interested i could post my list as it currently is... of course as we acquire them and further experience we might add a few others.
one thing off the top of my head i know i haven't found is a good book to identify and treat animal diseases-pref. w/ photos

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.