Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my baby is 3 weeks old and I think she has a posterior tongue tie. I went to and ENT yesterday and he said he had never heard of it. I am in Bedford Mass and need to know if anyone knows of a doctor that is familiar with this or has any experience with this at all. I am having many difficulties breastfeeding, she falls asleep, clicking sound, my mild supply is down and I have to supplement with formula sometimes (in tears about this). I have successfully breastfed two other children for 2 years and I am torn up about this. My baby had weight gain issues and was not wetting diapers so that is how we figured out she was doing something wrong. Her latch seem to be good but she can not pull the milk down.

Can anyone help please. I need doctors names who are experienced with this. Any help will be appreciated as I do not want to lose all my milk and I want to only breastfeed my child.

Thanks.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi there,

I'm so sorry you and your daughter are going through this. As earthmama mentioned, my son, Ezra, was born tongue-tied. His was the more common tongue-tie, however, in which his frenulum was very obviously connected to the tip of his tongue. He could not extend his tongue past his lower lip, and that made nursing almost impossible.

I never would have known it was an issue except for the fact that we saw a lactation consultant at Isis Maternity in Brookline when Ezra was around 5 days old, and she identified it. But his pediatrician said they didn't correct it in infants because it often worked itself out by the time kids started talking. When I told her it was preventing him from being able to nurse, she offered me formula samples (!!!). It was only when I nearly broke down in tears that she referred us to an ENT.

It took us 3 weeks to get an appointment, during which time I pumped (constantly, it felt like) and my husband fed Ezra with a syringe. We armed ourselves with medical journal articles showing that correcting a tongue-tie almost always corrects nursing problems, and prepared to fight to have the frenulum clipped.

We saw Dr. Hartnick at Mass Eye and Ear, and I can't say enough good thing about the experience (other than the time it took to get the appointment). He took one look at Ezra's tongue and started explaining why we should have it clipped! We were so relieved, and he did it right then and there. One simple snip, a drop or two of blood, and that was it. Dr. Hartnick told me to try nursing, and I could immediately tell the difference. Within 24 hours, Ezra was nursing perfectly, and is still nursing over two years later!

The nursing issues you mention (falling asleep, clicking, etc.) sound EXACTLY like what I saw with Ezra.

I hope you are able to take care of this SOON. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

· Registered
571 Posts
My son had a posterior tongue tie. I had been seeing a LC and she strongly felt that that's what was causing his poor latch. She had me send photos to a doctor in NY (Long Island), so I did and it was diagnosed on the spot. We drove down there and had it clipped by Dr. Coryllos (the author of the article Congenital Tongue Tie and Its Impact on Breastfeeding -- my link is broken, otherwise I'd link to the article).

She also diagnosed my husband with it, which means that every child of ours has a 50% chance of having it. I'm hoping to find a local doctor that is familiar with posterior tongue tie. I saw 3 peds and one ENT here who all said he was fine, before going to NY. Posterior tongue tie apparently is not studied or diagnosed too well.

· Registered
7,970 Posts
If you don't want to use formula you could get donor milk to tide you over until the tongue tie is fixed.

· Registered
1,696 Posts
My LC noticed that my DD was tongue tied as well as she was clicking when nursing and could only nurse in short bursts as it was so hard and tiring for her. Her tied was posterior, and she had to have it clipped twice.

Her clipping was done by a doctor in Middletown, CT, who was trained (I believe) by Dr. Coryllos.

· Registered
571 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meghanza View Post
I am having many difficulties breastfeeding, she falls asleep, clicking sound, my mild supply is down and I have to supplement with formula sometimes (in tears about this).
Have you tried a nipple shield? That's what saved us until my son's tongue tie was clipped. He nursed often, though -- 45 minutes nursing, 15 minutes break, 45 minutes nursing... all day long, with the shield. I let him. He fell asleep nursing, too, but the shield helped him get enough milk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.