Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 2 weeks 3 days postpartum. I had two natural tears (one internal, the doc said) and some stitches (not sure how many). How long is it normal to bleed for? How long should I expect to be sore? I am finding it hard to sit and breastfeed, as well as generally be comfortable. I'm starting to worry that the bleeding is going on too long. Some friends of mine say a week or so is normal. And I am really sick of wearing pads. I think this is causing some additional irritation.

It's harder to take care of my baby because I am uncomfortable. I am still using the peri bottle with warm water, and a witch hazel spray with jojoba oil and tea tree oil. (actually, it's the Kissaluvs diaper potion)

Any thoughts? TIA

·
Registered
469 Posts
s: I know how you feel!

I bled for weeks and weeks. I couldn't sit down anywhere but a very soft cushion for almost three weeks. I had to nurse lying down, or on a cushion, and spent all my time either lying down or standing. At my six week pp checkup, I still had some pain when urinating & bathing because my tear/stitches hurt when they got wet. The midwife said all but one little bit was healed. At eight weeks PP, I was healed, but I was still bleeding, though it was going down to just spotting. Then, I got the merena inserted, and I bled for weeks as my uterus got used to it (?), though really I only bled for about a week or so after the merena, then spotted forever afterwards: at least a month.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I know this time is worrisome, and you want to ask everyone what's "normal"--I did the same thing with my last couple pregnancies. But I think it's hard to put a finger on what's "normal," because every woman is different, each pregnancy and birth is different.

For example, with my first baby I bled for six weeks. With my second baby, I bled for only two weeks and could have sex 1 month postpartum, but with my third baby, I bled for two full months and couldn't have sex until 3 months postpartum.

So there is a pretty wide range of what is "normal," although one week of bleeding would definitely be on the outer range of normal--most people do bleed for longer than that.

Try not to worry, and just allow your body to have as much time to heal as it needs. Let your body be your guide.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the support, ladies. Whenever I tell DH that there is more blood he freaks out and wants me to go to the doctor. I'm glad to know that it's okay. I guess if I am doing too much that's why the blood gets brighter.

Really, though, I have only been lifting my LO (who is at 2 weeks old now 9 lbs 9 oz up from 8 lbs 3 oz at birth...oomph!) and moving around to nurse her. So I don't really know why that's too much for my body. Maybe sitting certain ways aggravates the uterus. The area where my stitches are is still slightly swollen. Or it just doesn't look the way it did before. Kind of like they stitched me up crooked, if this makes sense. Sort of a slight overlap of skin, not symmetrical. (sorry for TMI!) I am hoping it goes back to normal eventually and won't heal funny.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Don't worry too much--it's only been a week, and things will still be a bit swollen down there. Just rest as much as possible. If you notice the blood suddenly get brighter red, then definitely you need to at least try to rest. Lay in bed with the baby as much as you can. The easier you take it, the faster everything will get back to normal.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't want to worry you and it sounds like you have assessed the area...but I needed to be re-stitched with my first. He was a big headed, large baby so I have some pretty good tearing. I hurt and bled but thought that was normal. I finally had my mom (who was an RN), look at it and she saw that the incision had opened. I needed to go back to MD. I don't know why the first stitches did not hold. Could have been my first BM, or that lifting him was enough of stress to the area (he was 9lbs 9oz at birth). The MD did say that my experience was rare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts