Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I'm posting in the right category
My baby is about 5 weeks old, I had second degree tearing and a couple days after arriving home, found that I also had hemmoroids.

At first it was a very strong and sore pressure on my bottom when I stood up, it has gotten better. I thought it was almost gone away but then it came back just within the last day or two. I had been weaning off the Preparation H, so I wonder if that's why. I started using it again. Oh, and I tried Tucks that didn't help at all. I think they were bleeding too (maybe still are).

So do you think the sore pressure is from the stitches or from the hemmoroids? The longer I stand the worse it gets.

Also I have postpartum incontinence. I try to remember to do Kegels every time I feed him, but I do forget and know I don't do nearly enough. Anything else I can do? Am I supposed to squeeze and hold for a certain amount of time?

I'm just so scared these things are never going to get better
Remember this is coming from someone who has never had these three things in her life (stitches, incontinence, hemmoroids).

I have my 6 week postpartum appt on Monday and I'll ask the CNM but I wanted to hear from y'all too. thanks!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Congratulations on your baby!

I remember how freaked out I was by all the changes that came to my body after childbirth - I had a third degree episiotomy with a vaccuum extraction, and the trauma resulted in some cysts forming -- so I can understand how worried you are right now, and I'm glad you're going to get an opinion from your health care provider. That said, here are some things that worked for me re: incontinence, hemmerhoids, soreness.

First, keep doing the sitz baths - add some post-partum herbs and, occasionally, witch hazel. Take long, warm baths, too.

Second, I didn't start doing kegels in earnest until after my 8th week postpartum, and really upped the number and length of time I did them after the 5th month. I still do them, not as much now, and don't have any more incontenence problems -- they cleared up after about 6 months post-partum.

Third, use witch hazel on baby wipes instead of toilet paper, and insetad of tucks.

I never used preparation H but I did use EarthyBirthyMama's post-partum perineum spray and found it heavenly. I also used the numbing spray provided by the hospital until it ran out.

I used stool softeners for quite a while, drank tons of water, and ate lots and lots of fruit and dried fruit.

In a while, you may want to look at Gurmukh's first book, The 8 Human Talents -- her exercises for the first and second chakras are AMAZING at reducing hemmerhoids.

And, finally (sorry for the long reply, but I hope some of it is helpful!) try to relax about feeling better on your bottom - you will, eventually. Feel free to PM me, too ....

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I am unable to sit in the tub to soak, as we only have one tub in our house and it's so terribly designed I can't even sit in it comfortably. I got a sitz bath that sits on the toilet, but that did not work too well either as it "spread" the area and made it hurt more. So basically I soak shower water on it.

So the baby wipes would not irritate my skin?

I looked on earthybirthymama website and could not find the spray you mentioned. I did not get a numbing spray from the hospital, only peri bottle for water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.