Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had bad teeth for a long time, so I'm not sure if this is related to the pregnancy/bfing or not. Seven years ago, I had one tooth (second-to-the-last on the top left) filled with a temp filling. It was decaying in the middle, not much left but teh sides. They wanted to do a root canal and I guess some other work, not sure what, but I lost my insurance. I lost the filling sometime last year. I don't think it's gotten much worse since then.

Sometime in the intervening years, the very back tooth, top right, started to decay and break off. Similar pattern, just the center, then the sides broke off too. There's a bit of a stump on each side, and strangely, it doesn't hurt since they broke.

During the pregnancy/bfing months (it's all a blur... not sure when exactly this happened) the second-to-last, top right, developed a little decay and broke off a bit right next to the (former) back tooth. I'm pretty sure this can be filled and be okay. It doesn't hurt. Also, the very back, top left, lost a chunk. This is the really painful one. There seems to be a recurring infection on that side. When the baby was a few weeks old, I spent one weekend in miserable pain, loading up on Advil, using cloves and garlic, unable to sleep or eat much. Then of course, by Monday morning when I would have caved and called a dentist, it cleared up. Well, it's back again and worse.
DH is supposed to be calling around today to get an appointment. My face is swollen on that side, my ear is popping, I can feel puffy little "pockets" in the gum that I guess are infection. Oh, and now the third tooth from the back is painful too, but the tooth itself seems intact. I'm hoping it's just because of the infection around it and not the tooth itself.

I know, it's all my fault. I should have taken care of it a long time ago, I should have made tooth-brushing a higher priority than computer time in my baby-free moments these last few months, I should have gone in when I actually had insurance, and I probably should have been more diligent about taking my vitamins. I'm thinking a lot of it has to do with that. I also don't use fluoride toothpaste. I'm hypothyroid and can feel a noticeable difference when I consume fluoride (ask me about my two weeks in Toronto, where you cannot get un-fluoride water, sometime.
) but having read that other thread, I'm thinking about trying it topically again.

I'm also worried about my baby.
I hope she hasn't inherited this tendency. My mom and my bro have poor teeth too, but we also weren't raised with good dental hygiene habits. DH's family has decent teeth. I guess she's got a 50/50 chance.

Hmm, if you read all this, thanks.
I don't think I have any questions really, just looking to vent & stuff.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts