Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the mother of a 2-year-old and am expecting identical twins within the next couple of weeks. Yikes! To make welcoming two newborns into our family as easy as possible, I am looking for recommendations for postpartum help in the Cambridge, MA area.

People have recommended that we hire overnight help so my husband and I can get some sleep, but as we'll be co-sleeping and I'll be breastfeeding, I'm not sure that will be that useful (or at least useful enough to justify the high cost).

We are leaning towards hiring a postpartum doula for the first couple of weeks, and would love recommendations -- particularly for postpartum doulas who are experienced with multiples and could, for example, help me figure out how to tandem nurse and how to wear two babies at once.

Thanks!

* Jaime

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is actually an active doula list for Massachusetts that is mainly used by eastern MA doulas. The list is called Massdoulas. That might be a good place to post. It also might be good to contact some of the more established doulas out there and see if they have suggestions. Try googling Meghan Warner. I don't think she does postpartum work but I think that she pretty involved in the doula community and can help direct you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
There is a search function on DONA for post-partum doulas.

Also check out provider directory on MA Friends of Midwives and Birthing Life

I hired Cynthia Maloney as a post-partum doula after my 2nd was born. She was a huge help around the house. She is gentle and kind (just what I needed) and was great with my 3 year old (just what he needed). I don't know how much experience she has with twins, but she was a huge help.

Congratulations on your new additions!

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
No help with the doula issue, but I wanted to offer my own help and support if you don't end up finding someone who can help you with the tandem nursing and double-slinging stuff. I live in Western Mass., but my parents live in Cambridge, and we visit all the time. I would be happy to help you out if you ever feel the need! My twins are 3.5 now, and I was able to successfully exclusively breastfeed them and started double-slinging them when they were 4 weeks old (didn't really feel up to trying it before then!). Also, I don't know if you've already gotten the fabulous twin nursing pillow from www.doubleblessings.com, but if not I have one that I'd be happy to lend you.

Good luck Mama!

Lex

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, you all are great! Thank you so much for your good wishes and suggestions, and for pointing others to this thread. What a fabulous resource this board is. * Jaime

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.